Football Waves | Teen Ink

Football Waves

By maemae5717 BRONZE, Hemet, California
maemae5717 BRONZE, Hemet, California

Evening Football games are a frenzy on fridays. Electricity courses through Freshman, Sophomores, Juniors, Seniors, and even people who don’t go here. Arriving through the gates and heading for the bleachers. Searching for my friends in the pack of zoo animals I call my peers. Looking across the masses of cliques, firetruck red and heavenly gold blinds my eyes. Anyone who wasn’t wearing red stuck out like a T-rex in a birdcage. Though they seem to brush it off, and so did everyone else. Everyone had their eyes pleading to look anywhere else but the scoreboard.

The scoreboard. Your main source of life during a football game. The electricity wasting object that tells you if we’ve done something right or wrong. Right, plus seven maybe two points. Wrong, that seven or two points goes on the other side of the board. For this two hour long game you are now arch nemeses with that side of the board. BUt there’s always the ones that have come up with an obtuse idea to cheer on their arch nemesis.
The noise. Man, the noise was like being smack in the center of a fiesta in Rio De Janeiro. I can’t complain though, I was part of this fiesta too. Sitting in anticipation in the quiet-noise. The buzzer buzzes its annoying buzz like the shrill shriek of the fire alarm.

Half time. The time in which everyone who is to tranced by the game goes to get food. They never make it back until the next quarter is a fourth of the way through. Failing to avoid missing any part of the game. War cries and cheers were carried out across the field as if it weren’t loud enough.

Through the chants, friends start to disperse like grains of sand. I feel like a medium-sized pebble. The sand grains all close to each other sticking together like sand was made to do. There I was the medium-sized pebble just sitting there. All this sand around me blending in with all the others, and there I was, that medium-sized pebble. Like an asteroid in the middle of a galaxy of stars. What is it like to be able to go up to anyone and talk as if you've known them for years? What did you do to be a grain of sand or that star in the galaxy? What did you do to be with that special star, that grain of sand?

Whoosh, Whoosh.The waves. My thoughts, continue crashing. Loud-noise is all I hear. I can hear everyone separately in their conversations. I now sit not as excited as before, but with my hood on as a shield against the waves. Whoosh. I have a couple sitting next to me. I know Them. Plural. I know them as one not singular. How did you end up so happy? Will anyone look at a medium-sized pebble like that ?

WHOOSH! The ocean pulls me in. I seep through the creases of the water. The loud noise isn’t so loud any more, It isn’t silent either. It’s not there. Depth, by depth I seep further away from the grains of sand. I hurdle what feels like millions of miles away from the stars in the galaxy. I find myself in everlasting darkness even with the high beam stadium lights. My descent to the bottom is filled with what ifs, and why nots? Seven points, our side. I don’t want to be here. I did, but not anymore. Not down here in the bottom. Seven points, arch nemesis. What am I doing here? Just twenty more seconds on the clock. Why is it this way? What would it be like to not be a medium-sized pebble? Above the surface the waves still roll over just making me move from one question to another.

Buzz. Twenty minutes later i’m home. It would have been ten if someone didn’t stop for food. I get ready for bed. I climb in knowing i’m going to be comforted by my blanket. I’ll have a shoulder to lean on. My pillow. Where I dream the dreams I think should be movies. Oh, and we lost.

Anyone who wasn’t wearing red stuck out like a T-rex in a birdcage.