Why Don’t People Follow Their Dreams? | Teen Ink

Why Don’t People Follow Their Dreams?

By Peace. SILVER, Menahga, Minnesota
Peace. SILVER, Menahga, Minnesota

"WOO!" -Ric Flair

As a senior in high school, it’s demanded of me that I choose a future. I’m expected to pick a path to follow, but not any path I choose. I have to pick a path that’s approved by the next generation up, something “low-risk” or “reasonable.” It’s like unless your dream is to be a dental assistant that you shouldn’t go for it.  I keep getting told that I shouldn’t “waste my potential,” but instead use my apparently great talents to be in a nine-to-five job. Why isn’t it acceptable to actually follow our dreams when we’re constantly reminded to do so? It seems that people who haven’t followed their own dreams are the ones who harbor the most towards attempts to do so. So, why don’t people follow their dreams anyway? It seems that all of the media we watch supports us, why don’t we just do it?

According to a quick search, there are many reasons that people don’t attempt to live out their ideal lives. First is fear. People are scared of failing, feeling rejection. They’re so scared they won’t even try, even if failure is recoverable from (Tovak). Steve Tovak of Entrepreneur uses a quote from Jim Carrey to describe this, “The decisions we make in this moment... are based in either love or fear. So many of us choose our path out of fear disguised as practicality." At the end of the day, we’re all a product of the decisions we have made (Dansky).  Priorities, is one word that captures many other reasons like procrastinating and not having enough time, is another huge reason. Many people just don’t prioritize their goals and procrastinate to avoid them (Tovak). Unfortunately for many people, they don’t succeed the first time, which is actually one big reason people give up on their dreams so quick. Self doubt, such as thinking that someone is already doing what you’re trying to accomplish or you’re not made to do it, are also a load. Who says you can’t do whatever? Plus, the world is always replacing the new, so what’s to stop you from being in the spot someone else already occupies? The next source is inertia, or what Tovak explains, “...Kids go[ing] down the wrong path before they even know they have choices.” One of the final reasons mentioned is bad advice. The author specifically states that it's not the bad advice that hold people down, it’s choosing to listen to it that does (Tovak). It all boils down to just trusting your gut and putting in effort.

It’s really important to follow your dreams. Without dreamseekers, we would be in a dreary world without anyone to cheer us up. They inspire us to follow our own dreams and find satisfaction in life. You’re never too old or too young to start, that’s just another excuse. Life breezes by as you try to enjoy it and you’ll make yourself proud (Alford). Go ahead, commit to following your dreams today!

Dreams are worth following. Live the one life you've been given to the best of your ability.