Things Happen | Teen Ink

Things Happen

February 23, 2018
By mimagarciaa BRONZE, Dectaur , Texas
mimagarciaa BRONZE, Dectaur , Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

It all began on August 15, 2017, just days before the beginning of a new school year. I was at my cousins house working on my summer assignment that i probably should have done a month earlier. Since we cant have our laptops during summer, I needed access to one in order to be able to finish it. My mom had suggested that I go to the Public Library but I didn't want to go there. I insisted that we go to my cousins house because he’s my favorite person ever and I knew that he would lend me his computer without hesitation.
As I was on my last summary, my moms phone began to ring. She glanced at it and saw who it was. She didn’t answer. My mom is the type of person who will literally not answer her phone unless she likes you or if she feels that it is important. She’s more of a texter. Her phone rang again and like she did before, she ignored it. Then all of a sudden, my phone began to ring too. With a confusion look on our face, i didn’t know if to answer it or not. When she asked me who it was, she told me not to answer. I obeyed. I put down my phone and continued to work on my summary. As I began to reach a stopping point, we felt the need to glance out the window. There, we saw my dad’s truck parked outside. He didn’t get off. He just sat in the truck and waited for my mom to come out.


My cousin was outside working on his van. We never knew why, but it was constantly breaking down. Sometimes it would work and other times it would just stop. My cousin was also confused as to why my dad had pulled up and wouldn’t get off. My mom finally walked out and when to talk to him.


My phone rang again and this time, I answered. It was my uncle. He didn’t even give me a chance to greet him properly when he just began to yell at me. He began to yell rude and hateful things to me. I was in shock and very confused. My mom was not present at the time of the call for me to be able to tell her what had happened. She was still outside speaking to my dad. As I looked out the window, I could see that they were arguing about something.


My mom came back inside with a sad but not surprised face. She told me we were leaving. That’s when my dad drove away. I asked her what had happened but she turned and told me to wait. At this point, she still had no idea about the call. I wasn’t sure about when to tell her of if I even should. We walked to the car and got in without saying a word. I felt awkward and almost uncomfortable. I didn’t know when to ask again. With a sad look on her face, she turned to me and said that my dad just kicked her out of the house. I froze. My heart shattered. I couldn’t believe what she had just said. During the ride home, there was nothing but silence. We said nothing.


As we pull into the driveway, I see my dad’s truck. My mind was still dazed and confused. We get off the car and walk inside. My mom heads to my room and begins to pack some of her things. As you can imagine, I was devastated.


My mom and dad were already having issues during the summer. They would get upset with each other and spend a day, a week or sometimes even a month without speaking. Like in common couples, my mom wouldn’t agree with everything my dad would do and my dad wouldn’t agree with everything my mom would do. At this point, they were questioning themselves as to why they were still together. The only thing my mom wanted was a divorce. That’s all she wanted, nothing more. My dad couldn’t quite accept that. He couldn’t believe that that’s what she wanted because, according to him, she had never mentioned it before.


The mention of a divorce was a major surprise to my dad. Well not just to him, my brothers and I included. Seeing as how me and my mom were always so close, I was pleasantly surprised myself. I didn’t know what to think. Being the youngest and the only girl out of my three older brothers, the situation was like a big block on my shoulder. It was heavy and it was always leaning sideways. Never balanced.


With the whole situation happening, i felt that it was my need to grow up. At only age 16, I feel like I’ve lived through so much these past couple of months. Gladly, my mom is back home. My parents are seperated but not yet divorced. Everything has calmed down and things are looking better. But one thing is for sure, I am not the “little girl” I used to be.


My junior year, I have to say, has definitely been the hardest school year thus far. Senior year is only months away, but hopefully that’ll be a whole different story.


I know things will never go back to the way they were. They just won’t. But I know that I have grown as a person and I am proud of who I am today.


Six months ago, I wouldn’t have been able to handle so much. However, I will never forget what my brothers would tell me constantly which was, “grow up!” Now, I just turn back at them with a….. “I have.”


The author's comments:

I wrote these peice to show the progression of me as a person.