The Search for Happiness | Teen Ink

The Search for Happiness

February 23, 2018
By NateS BRONZE, Decatur, Texas
NateS BRONZE, Decatur, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

With my small experience on this planet, I don’t have much to offer. However, Looking back on my past I’ve noticed that the overall goal of mankind is to be happy. People are always telling me to do what make me happy. I guess the question I’ve always had is, how do you do that if you don’t even know what makes you happy?
Depression is a real thing whether we like it or not. One of the main causes of depression is the constant search for happiness and never finding it. My grandpa fell in deep depression I was younger. I never did fully understand why he was so sad and expressionless until I was older. It’s amazing how much a person can change in two years. Looking at him now with his bright chuckle and affectionate smile, it would be hard to recognise him from his past. My grandpa would agree of me saying that what saved his life was his hobbies. Every time I went to his house he always had something new he was doing. He was always the type of guy to really get passionate over the things he did. Whether that was woodworking in the shop or creating a portfolio of his moon photography. These things created a never ending source of happiness for him.


The thing about happiness isn't always what you are doing but how you perceive it. It's critical to always look at things in a positive way. Knowing that you are going to fail will help you do that. Failure is the distinguisher between a positive and a negative person. It's one thing to fail but a true positive person will get right back up and try again. After failing time and time again, there is nothing more satisfying than achieving your goal. I’m sure we’ve all heard about the company disney. Having said that, the man that created disney failed many times. Walt Disney started his movie production in 1919 in Kansas city. His manager believed he, “lacked imagination and had no good ideas” and fired him. Although it was a setback for Walt, he came back strong and started his own studio and created the movie production company we know today.


It can easily be said that most people didn't just stumble on their happiness. Most people have to go out and explore to find what truly makes them happy, figuratively and sometimes literally. Figuratively because a person doesn't have to leave their home town to explore but also literally because sometimes that’s exactly what brings a person to find their happiness. I've heard many stories of people setting out on an adventure to find themselves. For some that might work. However, the only reason I believe people should try new things and explore is if they are not contempt with where they are physically or mentally.


To be honest, for some, it’s really never being able to be satisfied. If we take a few moments every day to appreciate what we have and what's going for us then I know it would be impossible to not be happy. The possibilities are endless if you just explore, be positive, and except that you are going to fail on your journey.