Pittsburgh Youth Chorus | Teen Ink

Pittsburgh Youth Chorus

January 30, 2018
By Lucy Nichols BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Lucy Nichols BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

People sing for many different reasons, it all just depends on the person. For me, singing is a way to express how I’m feeling and show my emotions, whether it’s sad, happy, or angry. For some people, including me, singing takes you to another world, a world where you are free with no worries. That's why i joined a wonderful choral group called PYC (Pittsburgh’s Youth Chorus.) I’ve enjoyed being a part of this chorus, and couldn’t imagine what kind of person I would be today without it. PYC is a choral group that provides so many opportunities for young singers such as myself to show off their passion to sing. Over the years, nearly 3,000 young singers have participated in this program. PYC has done many performances for different professional organizations, such as the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, the Pittsburgh Opera, and the Mendelssohn Choir of Pittsburgh. The choir is split into three different groups, Bel Canto Singers, Talisman Singers and Troubadour Singers. Each group is categorized by age. They sometimes do separate performances, depending on the reason or season for the performance. But I think it's when we all come together that we give our best heartwarming and unforgettable performances. I wouldn't be able to enjoy being in this choir without my friends and the wonderful conductors and staff.

Over the past seven years of being a part of this program, I have accomplished so many things that I could never forget. I’ve learned how to read and understand challenging choral repertoire in a variety of genres and languages. My conductor, Shawn Funk, has been with me since the beginning, and has never failed to teach me new things at every rehearsal. He taught me that with hard work and dedication you can accomplish many things in life. That is something I will take with me as I grow up and achieve things. Through chorus, I’ve met so many new and wonderful friends that I will forever and always cherish.


This year will be my last year of being a part of this journey, but I hope to carry on my knowledge and do something with my life around music. I believe I’ve grown as a person and will continue to grow as I reach the next chapter of my life.

The author's comments:

I wanted to write about this because where ever I go music will always be a part of me, and I want to be able to remember where it all started.