Be Yourself | Teen Ink

Be Yourself

January 26, 2018
By BlazeCox BRONZE, Elizabeth City, North Carolina
BlazeCox BRONZE, Elizabeth City, North Carolina
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In February of 2017, I realized I'm different. I’m not "normal" or what most people think of as the average human. I have never been comfortable in women's clothing, wearing makeup, painting my nails or playing with dolls. It wasn't until someone asked me one simple question that really made me think "I'm not normal." The person asked me "Are you a boy or a girl?" I didn't know whether to be offended or say thank you. That's only the beginning of my confusion and my little journey to finding me. Although it took my whole childhood to realize that it’s okay to not fit in or to not be perfect. I can now say I'm proud to be different and to stick out. It's perfectly okay to be yourself even if others don't like it. At least I was born into this generation where a higher percentage of people are accepting. Living in the South it sometimes doesn't feel like it, but it’s true. I was extremely fortunate to grow up in the household I grew up in because I am allowed to be me and wear what I’m comfortable with. My confusion wasn't only gender but sexuality too. I am now proud to say I am a straight transgender male I am different and it's completely okay.