FPV RC Air Race | Teen Ink

FPV RC Air Race

By SuperiorRc BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
SuperiorRc BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

A new sport is slowly expanding across the world. Once you try it, you need to do it again. It is FPV plane racing. The gates, the loops, the tight turns, it quickly becomes a part of who you are. The speed, the power, the adrenaline rush, It becomes a part of life. Once you become a racer, there is no going back. You don’t just become an rc racer for no reason, you need to have a reason for it. Maybe you’ve flown a plane before, maybe you have a friend or loved one who works with or flew planes, or maybe you just enjoy the freedom of it. Those are the three reasons that my goal is to become an fpv rc plane racer, I’ve flown a plane before, my grandpa was an aircraft mechanic, and I enjoy the freedom of flight.

So the first reason is I have flown an airplane before. We took off from stanton airport, but started to far down the runway, so we hit the “flight jumper”, which is basically a ramp at the end of the runway to force planes to go airborne. The flight jumper sounds like it would be fun right? Wrong! It is not fun, and it hurts, you don’t want to hit it. If we had started further up the runway, we would not have hit the jumper. When we hit that jumper, it shook the entire plane as it was forced into the air, me and my uncle with it. We swiftly climbed to the right altitude, accelerating as we went. Our flight speed was 128 mph at around three quarters of a mile high, and man was it beautiful up there. After flying for awhile, we came back to land. I was upset that it had to end so soon, and ever since, I’ve been waiting for the time that I can fly again.

The second reason is that my Grandpa was an aircraft mechanic. That sparked a lot of interest for me in the world of aviation. My grandpa got to work on everything, engines, flaps, landing gear, even electronic components. In some ways, my grandpa is like a part of who I am, always wanting to learn how things work. I never got to meet my grandpa, he passed before I was born, but, somehow his love for aviation was passed down to me.

The third reason is The freedom of flying. While flying an FPV (first person view) Rc plane, it feels like you are the pilot of an airplane. You get to choose how and where you fly, slow and easy, or fast with tight turns like me. I like the fact that you can choose what to do. I also like the idea of going and racing against other people, the smallest mistake in a race could end it for you, weather you crash or get disqualified. You don’t need to just fly peacefully or race though, you can also go into battle and fight other planes, cutting off their streamers, or go war mode. War mode is a hardcore type of battling. You inflict damage on other planes until they can’t fly, last plane airborne wins.

So there are three the reasons why I want to get an FPV Rc plane, I have flown an airplane, my grandpa was an aviation mechanic, and I love the freedom of flight. In some ways, I feel like having an fpv rc is just meant to be. I also know that it is not going to be easy to get one, especially if it is a DIY plane; However, if you don’t have to work for it, it wouldn’t be rewarding. So what are you going to do? Are you going to fly, or stand by?