Parenting | Teen Ink

Parenting

By caseyvagts SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
caseyvagts SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

Raising kids is like planting random seeds.  We have to provide them with sunlight, water, and a fitting home so that they can grow up to be healthy and content.  We do not know what they will turn out to be in the end, maybe a rose, maybe a daisy.  But our job as a parent is to provide our children with the necessities that they need in life.  So, in the end, they can grow into what they are meant to be and not what you want them to be.  Personally, I want to “plant my own random seeds” and raise those seeds throughout their lives.  In the future, I would like to have children.  There are many important lessons, once-in-a-lifetime experiences, and meaningful people that make me feel this way about having kids of my own.

Becoming a parent would allow me to learn a variety of different things.  I believe that how I react to certain situations would change.  Having kids would make me a lot more responsible, mature, caring, and wiser.  I think that there are many life lessons that I could learn from being a parent.  If I was a parent I feel that I would understand what my mom and dad go through every day better.  I believe that being a parent would be quite an emotional process that would greatly impact my life.  Different emotions may be presented if I become a parent, but I know that I can overcome them.  I want to endure those memories and emotions in my life.  Being a parent might be the hardest job that I will ever do, but I want to take on the mission.  It may take a lifetime of effort to raise my kids; but in the end I know that it will be worth it.  The impact that I would get from becoming a parent is one of the main reasons why I want to become one.

I know for a fact that having kids would definitely impact me. These impacts can be big and small.  When I think about it, it’s the little things that make me want to have kids the most.  For example, I want to be teaching my son how to ride a bike without training wheels, or taking my daughter to get her ears pierced, or hearing my baby boy say his first word.  Now to some this may not seem all that interesting and important but it is to me.  I want to undergo those little moments of joy that you experience when your son scores the winning touchdown or when your baby girl who isn’t a baby anymore graduates from high school. These scenarios may be little things; however I think that these little things that a parent goes through can be life-changing.  I also feel that it will change the way I think about situations.  Instead of only thinking about my own needs I will be focused on my kids’ needs too.  There is nothing else like being a parent.  Parenting is a one-of-a-kind job and a magical journey all in one.  According to the people I have talked to that have been through this journey, you won’t regret becoming a parent one bit.  All the relationships that would come with the journey would be impacting and influencing as well. 

When I have children I will be creating a family that is important to me.  My family is such a meaningful thing in my life and is such a huge factor of what my everyday life is like.  I couldn’t imagine living my life without my parents and brother.  Being family is an unbreakable bond that I don’t have with anyone else.  My family is always there for me at the end of the day, through thick and thin, no matter what happens we stick together.  I want to start my own family and share those bonds and relations with children of my own.  When raising kids I will get to watch them grow up.  I’ll see them from the moment they are born, to the day they go off to college, to the day that they get married.  Their lives will be an amazing movie that I will get the privilege of watching.  That movie will have a great deal of purpose in my life.  My parents becoming grandparents is the last reason why I want to create a family of my own.  I can already see now that they will be incredible grandparents.  Everything about their personalities screams great grandparents and that makes me so very happy.  I also know that they would be so pleased to finally have some little kids running around the house.  Family is so important and I feel that it overrules everything else in life. 

Having children is such an important choice in life; therefore it comes with a lot of baggage and responsibilities.  Although it also comes with valuable life lessons, unforgettable experiences, and family that is loving and people I can count on.  With that said I would like to have kids in the future.  Like I stated before, raising a kid is like planting a random seed.  We don’t know what it will be in the end but we do know that if we provide the seed with the proper care it will turn out how it’s meant to be.  Then we finally see that everything we did up till that point was worth it.   Becoming a parent is a big decision in my life. It also comes with big impacts and those impacts make it all the worth.