A Major Life Choice | Teen Ink

A Major Life Choice

By pdub6203 BRONZE, Cannon Falls , Minnesota
pdub6203 BRONZE, Cannon Falls , Minnesota

“Having children is like living in a frat house. Nobody sleeps, everything's broken, and there is a lot of throwing up.” I don’t know if you know me or not, but I don’t like frats, and I don’t like kids. And that’s why my future will not contain kids. Did you know a marriage without kids is statistically better than a marriage with kids according to a 2009 study? The main reasons this is true are because of money, time, and responsibility.

First and most important in this world/society is money. Money provides the potential for happiness. You can buy your needs and wants. But, with kids, not as many wants as you may like. It costs about $800,000 to raise a kid to the age of 18. That’s only one kid while most families average three to four! Having kids puts a huge dent in your bank account. And I’m not willing to take any hits if I can avoid it. I want a nice car with only two seats because I will only need two seats for me and my wife. With the money, you can buy yourself and your significant other goods. Diamonds are a woman’s best friend and dogs are a man’s. I plan to have both. Happy wife, happy life.

A healthy relationship is also a result of being childless. Childfree families are happier. The myth of baby bonding is broken. I will try my hardest, but there is still the study that 50% of marriages end in a divorce. If I don’t have kids, we won’t have to fight over custody and pay child support. It’ll be like the relationship never happened. And that’s still—and IF—there is a breakup.

A huge part of life and its system is responsibility. Now I know I am young, but I'm not responsible at all. I could barely get this paper turned in on time. Anyways, the responsibility of kids is limitless such as dropping the kids off at school, signing them up for sports, hiring babysitters, keeping them off the street, and having “The Talk.”. Putting food on the table and a shelter are a given, but the change in it from just yourself to a family is a big jump. Also, the thought of having twins is honestly a nightmare.

All of these reasons, money, wife, and responsibility, are reasons why I will choose to not have kids. They are huge parts of life and can all be combined with my idea of happiness. I also want time for myself and friends and from my parents. I’ve heard they need alone time. I’ve heard so many stories of parents that are way too stressed and that movie happiness you see on television and commercials is all fake. Having kids isn’t a choice I will be making. In short, there will be no mini me’s.