Reflective Essay | Teen Ink

Reflective Essay

I think that my one fatal flaw is perfection. I see something and I think that I could do better. There’s this house that was just built pretty close to where I live and every time I go past it I have to critique it in some way. That’s one of the reasons I want to be an architect when I am an adult. I want to be able to have things my way. Some of my favorite things about architecture is that you get to design buildings, it’s mostly idea based, and it makes an impact on people.

Probably my favorite thing about architecture and the main reason I want to be an architect is that you get to design things. I’ve done a little bit of research and I think it looks fun. Since I like drawing a lot, I really like the idea of blueprints. I sort of like drawing or writing my plans for something down. I also really enjoy comparing buildings with my ideas. I’ll see something that I like and I think how could I use that. Sometimes I see something that I don’t like and I think of ways that I could make it better. I also like how most of this comes straight from ideas and the  mind.

That leads me to the second reason I like architecture. I really like that most of the things that you come up with comes from your head. I like that part of your work day is you sitting down and sort of just daydreaming and writing down a couple of ideas as you go. You also need to be sort of good at visualizing, which I think I’m halfway decent at. I also think one of the coolest things about being an architect is that you get a lot of alone time. I know you have to deal with customers and co-workers every once in awhile but most of the time it would just be me by myself  off in my own little world which I really like. And all those ideas that you have could end up impacting people’s lives which leads me into my next topic.

I think it would be amazing to impact people’s lives in a positive way. I want to make people smile and really love what I made for them. I always really like watching home remodeling shows or things like that because; I like the reaction you always see on the customer's faces when the final product is done. They’re always so happy to see it and someday I want to make people feel that way. I also want the things I make to last for a long, long time. If I design a house, I want it to not have any problems and stay standing for a long time so I don’t have to disappoint people. I just really like the idea that I can bring joy to people’s lives by doing work that I enjoy.

That’s why designing, creating things from your head, and impacting people are the main reasons I want to be an architect. I guess I want it so that all the schooling I’ll have to go through and all the years I spend doing my job not to go to waste. I think my fatal flaw is another big reason. I guess I just want things to be my kind of perfect. Do I want to be an architect because I think I’ll enjoy it? Or do I want to be an architect because I’m a perfectionist and want things done my way? That’s a question I won’t be able to figure out for a while.