Educator of the Year Award | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year Award

When I was told to think of a teacher that I thought deserved Educator of the Year, I immediately thought of my 6th grade English teacher, Mrs. Hannig. She was dedicated to her students and always had a poise about her that reassured everyone things were going to be alright even if it had been a rough day. I learned so much in her class, and she always made sure it was enjoyable for us and herself.

Understanding something new has always been a challenge for me, and Mrs. Hannig noticed that. Sometimes she’d let me stay after school to help me with a topic that was hard for me to grasp. Knowing that she was always there to assist me with anything helped me become more comfortable, and her class ended up being one of my favorites.

Mrs Hannig was also always observant and seemed to constantly know when something was up. She helped me get to know where everything in the school was and answered any questions I had, whether they were about English or just school in general. I began to feel more comfortable and get the hang of middle school. She was really the only teacher that went out of her way to help me understand school and what she taught.

Mrs Hannig’s class was always memorable and enjoyable. She was not the typical teacher. She knew how to get her point across in a fun way but could also keep the class on task. Though her class was last period, it was the most energized class. I learned a lot of important things I still use now, and she is a big part of the reason why I love reading and writing. One thing I will always remember is she always played music in her room making everyone feel a little better and giving it a lively feel and warm hominess.

Mrs Hannig was an amazingly gifted teacher and her poise kept the class professional and fun. She not only had a great taste in pandora stations, but her sincereness to the class and enthusiasm was infectious. Sadly, she passed away during the summer after my 6th grade year from cancer. She was a teacher who was committed to doing her best and making sure no one was left behind; a true leader, and the perfect recipient for  The Educator of the Year Award.

I am giving credit to where it is truly deserved.