Come Out Come Out Wherever You Are

By NimWallace PLATINUM, North Smithfield, Rhode Island
NimWallace PLATINUM, North Smithfield, Rhode Island

I was never interested in guys.

Sure, I liked to hang out with them, but as far as dating, I could never understand the appeal.

Teenage boys are. . .well, I don't want to generalize. I've a met a lot of really nice and intelligent teenage boys. But I've also met quite a few stupid and rude ones.

I could never imagine kissing a boy.

They were all taller—what if I couldn't reach? And what would they do? Teenage boys are notoriously horny. What if they did something I was uncomfortable with? I don't think I would've enjoyed it at all.

I grew up in a very Christian environment. The women at our church were always giving lectures on “waiting till marriage,” and “not dating until we're eighteen,” and even “what it means to be a good wife.”

They always made me a little angry, and I never knew why. I guess I thought it was because I was capable of making my own decisions.

What if I wanted to date at sixteen? What if I didn't want to get married? Or, God forbid, what if I didn't want to have children?

I don't think anyone really considered the possibility that I was gay. They mostly thought I was a late bloomer.
I endured endless winks of “you will someday.” You will someday want a husband. You will someday kiss a boy. You will someday want to have children.

The more they pushed, the surer I became.

I don't think I really realized it completely until recently.

I just assumed they were right, that I'd like guys eventually. But I never did. I started thinking of the same things I'd been taught to picture with guys with girls instead. Holding hands. Kissing. Dating. Marriage.

Then I started noticing the differences in how I was attracted to girls. Sure, I could tell when a guy was good looking, but it was a completely different thing with girls. I noticed far more things. Smooth skin. Round lips. Pretty eyes. Curvy hips. It made me nervous.

I kinda always assumed I'd just end up alone. If I didn't like guys, I couldn't like anyone, right? So I pushed all that stuff out of my head.

But I kinda knew I'd have to face it eventually.

I was scared.
I'd heard stories—kids whose parents had kicked them out, people who waited for a failed marriage before facing their sexuality, kids who got beaten up and made fun of.

So I did a sort of test coming out to a group of friends.

They were all very Christian, but they were also all very kind. And I didn't care if they rejected me. So I told them.

There was a moment of short collective silence before one of them kindly asked if there was anyone liked. I replied yes, and they asked if they knew her. They treated it like it wasn't a big deal—as if I'd said I liked dogs better than cats.

I want it to be like that for everyone.

On Christmas day, I stood in front of my entire family and asked for their attention. I started to shake uncontrollably. I could feel my mother's eyes on me.

I choked out it out, and immediately, there was a barrage of comforting comments. “Is that all?” “We don't mind” “You still the same person” “We still love you.”

I was so relieved I started to cry. I was so afraid they'd try to fix me, try to “look past it” or even try to change it. But it just goes to show even Christians can be accepting. I no longer felt so alienated, like they'd hate me if they knew.

I know everyone isn't that lucky. But thank God I was. Someday, I want to live in a world where it's like that for everyone. Where there is no hatred and fear, but only acceptance. I think we're on our way there. 

Not everyone is a good person, but most people are good people

on Mar. 7 at 5:57 pm
(Same here) And thank you :) I hope your (family? friends?) come to accept you as mine did me. If they don't, you have me (LGBT+ stick together, yeah?) :)

on Mar. 6 at 2:55 pm
bo_olsen PLATINUM, St George, Utah

"I Solemnly Swear That I Am Up To No Good"

I am also really really glad that you had a good experince with your coming out :) My coming out was a little rockier, but I think we're moving past it. I do really like this article. It's well written, and very grammatically correct (which I do look for. Grammatically incorrect things bug me) so, good job :)

on Jan. 1 at 2:53 pm
I'm glad! I hope someday it's like that for everyone :)

on Jan. 1 at 2:15 pm
un_named PLATINUM, Olympia, Washington
I'm so glad that you have such accepting friends and family. My coming out experience was thankfully similar to yours.

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!