Freshman Year | Teen Ink

Freshman Year

My first day of high school was a bit of a stretch to say the least. At the time I had the bestest of friends and everything was going according to the plan, and then I blinked my eyes and everything just went dark. I had gotten involved in something I shouldn’t have gotten involved, which at the time I was badly influenced by the people around me which caused me to lose my best friend because of what went on between us and I am still hurt to this day. Long story short is that she picked the boy over me and it made me feel like I was unwanted. From that point on everything that happened after that felt like it was nothing, and it wasn’t that important, at least that’s what I thought.

I was called into the counselor's office just to check up on how Freshman year was going so far, and my heart sank into my stomach because I am not the type of person to express my emotions to anybody, but it felt like all of my emotions just took over my body and all I could do was cry, and it felt like someone had just ripped all of my intestines out and then I had to be the one to put them back together. I had just found out that my dad was an alcoholic and I didn’t really know how to feel, or what to feel because it wasn’t really something I had planned on going through at the age of fourteen. As I was listening to the words that everyone at the scene was saying all I could remember was that everyone sounded like the charlie brown teacher. The day I found out it was like my whole world had just fallen apart and I couldn’t get the puzzle pieces back together. My counselor guided me through the process and told me that it was okay to feel discombobulated but that I needed to be strong for me and my family, which I agreed with. That was really hard for me to hear because how could I be strong for my family if I could barely hold myself together. The next few months I tried to get through this with a little help from my family, my counselor, the school social worker, and the school psychologist.  They all offered for me to start going to group in school and I agreed because at this point I just wanted to help myself as much as I could. 

At the beginning of my freshman year I was a strong string and then at the end of everything that happened with my dad I was just an old floppy string that felt helpless because there was nothing I could do to fix the situation and there was nothing I could do to change what I was going through and nobody could make my problems go away. People always say that you can’t force someone to get help and there are not wrong because it’s true, you can’t force someone to get help.

That was probably the main event that happened in high school that changed my life forever, which sounds dramatic but it’s really not because it also impacted how I perform my school work and how I act in high school. As far as my success in college, I believe that I will overcome any challenges that college throws at me and i know that I will be able to focus on school and be committed and will work very hard to make sure I am successful in college.