Confidence Is Key | Teen Ink

Confidence Is Key

By emileyscriven BRONZE, Augusta, Kansas
emileyscriven BRONZE, Augusta, Kansas

Tomorrow is the first day of my sophomore year, and I couldn't be less excited about anything else. All summer I've been able to stay inside and avoid all the stupid girls who have bullied me my entire life, and now, I have to see them again, and I’m not looking forward to it. I’ve spent so long putting up with what these girls do to me; they call me names, push me around, make fun of me and just so many other acts. I never know what to do, I’ve been to the counselor so many times, but she never does anything. She just doesn't understand the situation, and she just tells me to ignore them, but I can't, I just don't know how much longer I can take this.
I woke up super early this morning because my sister ran in my room and jumped on my bed yelling at me to get up and get ready for the first day. She started middle school today so she’s extra excited about it. For me on the other hand, today was just another dreadful day that I have to live with. I usually don't get up until 10 minutes before I leave because I don't really need to get ready for anyone so I just wake up and throw on some clothes and head to school. I had to drop off my little sis first today because my parents were already at work. I took her and then headed to the high school. As soon as I pulled into the parking lot, I got chills all over my body. I’m a sophomore this year and I’m scared to walk into the school because of some stupid girls, how messed up is that?

I walked in the school and, of course, with my luck, the first people I see are the girls. They have their own little group with three girls whom one, “the leader” used to be my best friend. Until something happened in the 7th grade, she got new friends, and we just went our own ways. She decided she wanted to be this completely different person who was in charge of everything and who thought she was just so perfect. They walk toward me as soon as we make eye contact and I knew they were about to say something to me but right before they did the principal walked right by us and gave me enough time to just walk away from them.

Luckily, I didn’t have any of them in my first block, but I still had all the other people who liked to make all the little comments about me, but that doesn’t bother me as much as what the girls do. They all just whisper about me and ignore me most of the time. I don't really have any friends because of all the stuff those girls say about me. I am called so many awful names, and none of it is true, and it’s even worse on social media. People I don't even know are calling me names and saying I have diseases and just so much more. But anyway, after the class finally ended, I headed to my second block hoping none of them would be in my class. Sadly, as soon as I walked in the door, I saw all of them sitting together in the corner and everyone stopped what they were doing and stared at me. As I walked in, Caitlyn, the leader of the three girls, yelled out and called me a freak and everyone just started laughing. The teacher told everyone to quiet down, and I had to sit right in front of Caitlyn and her friends because there were no other seats left.

During the whole class, they were messed with me and pulled my hair and threw things at me. I don't know how the teacher didn't notice but she didn't so I had to put up with it the whole time. As soon as the bell rang, I quickly got out of my seat and headed out the doors, but the girls all just followed me and continued messing with me. Right before I walked into my next class, I saw a guy whom I've never seen before. I figured it was the new kid who was transferring to our school this year. Right as he looked at me, one of the girls tripped me, and I dropped all my books and face planted right in front of him. He saw me fall, and he started walking toward me and helped me up and grabbed my books for me. I was speechless, this was the first time I've ever had actual contact with him, and I screwed it up.. He just stood there for a minute waiting for me to say something, but I didn't. Instead, he just asked if I had this class, and I thankfully spit the word yes out and he said he had the class too so we could sit together. I was so shocked and confused because he didn't even know who I was, and he was being nice, but I was just so happy, so I didn't even care at that point.

We talked during the whole class pretty much. It was so great. I hadn't actually talked to someone like that in a long time, and it felt so nice. His name is Jake by the way, but anyway, he asked me what was up with those girls who tripped me earlier, but all I said was that they were bad people who have treated me bad for a long time, and he responded by saying that someone should teach them a lesson and that they have no right to be picking on me because I’m way prettier and obviously better hearted than all of them. He told me to just ignore it and know that they are just jealous. I've never had anyone say anything like that to me, everyone has always agreed with the girls because they just believe everything they say about me. There's a new person now, who can get to know the real me.

Jake walked me to my next class and stayed right next to me every time the girls walked by me and they didn't say or do anything, I was surprised but it felt great. They almost looked mad because I was with him, but I don't even care. The rest of my day was great and kept getting better because Jake and I ended up having all the rest of our classes together. We didn't pay attention in any of our classes, we talked about so many different topics during every class and got to know each other so well. He was so amazing, and I couldn't believe that this was happening. I wasn't even thinking of him as the new hot guy anymore, he was now just someone who I can't wait to become good friends with.

The next day, the girls tried to say something to me again in the hallway, but as soon as they walked up to me, Jake popped up out of nowhere and interrupted them. I don't know what he said but he embarrassed all of them really badly and made them mad, they all just stood there in awe like little kids and eventually just left. Jake and I just started laughing and went on to our next class. Everyone seemed to be being so much nicer to me because I was friends with the new hot guy. People actually talked to me, and it was just weird, but I loved it.

Jake and I hang out every single day as much as we can, and also he finds a way to embarrass those girls every single day, and everyone around us just dies laughing. The girls didn't know what to do, people were started not liking them more and more and everyone was always surrounding Jake and I. It was amazing. At lunch today, I was walked out of the line and Caitlyn walked up to me and called me a nasty name, and said I was just messing around with Jake and also said Jake only wanted me for that and he would just leave after that. I looked her straight in the eye and laughed in her face and walked away. She was so confused because I've never had the confidence to do anything like that, but I’m not going to let her push me around anymore because of her little amount of self-esteem. I know who I am and so does everyone else who wants to be friends. I’m not going to listen to what other people have to say and I'm going to do my best to help everyone else who's ever been in my position to be confident in themselves and to stand up for themselves