Miss Independent | Teen Ink

Miss Independent

By victoriabender BRONZE, New Orleans, Louisiana
victoriabender BRONZE, New Orleans, Louisiana

Many people recognize their newfound independence through exciting and crucial moments in their lives like when getting their license or purchasing their own house. I, on the other hand, discovered this idea on the Metro. I had finally arrived in Washington, D.C., for my internship, and drops of sweat already began trickling down my face. Questions of the overwhelming unknown clogged my mind. Am I even old enough to be here by myself? Was coming to this new place a good idea? Should I have brought pepper spray considering I have nothing but my lanky arms to protect myself? Immediately, a gust of air attacked my face, and my once sleek and smooth hair became the knotted mess that matched my stomach. My quivering legs inched towards the train.

The train was overflowing with a massive amount of people ready to begin their day of work, and I, a clueless teen, was mashed in between them. The doors collided, and hands shot up to the heavens grasping any object to prevent the crowd from finding themselves on the scum-filled floor. Fear and dismay flooded through my veins as the realization of being 1100 miles away from home came alive seeing that I was trapped in a train with no one to accompany me.

My brain became puzzle pieces attempting to construct a way to act natural though I had no one to guide me. The train’s continuous turns screeched with earsplitting roars as my body jolted during the violent halts throughout the trip. My nose soon wrinkled due to the stench of musty mold filling the air which came to be the odor from the person a seat away from me. Not a single person appeared to notice these factors, and all the the expectations I had for this adventure drained out of me.

Though people would get off at each stop, more anxious workers would follow in packing the train tighter than an overstuffed suitcase. A woman slammed against me while commanding, “Take your backpack off, so I can fit! Do you even know how to ride the metro?” My voice shrunk with horror, mumbling, “Sorry,” as I hastily placed my backpack on the floor. Doubt soon overcame my mind. This trip was only going to get worse.

As each stop went by, I began to soak in the astonishing sight before me. Men were clothed in sharp, darkened suits, while the women were filled with prestige in their respectable dresses. Everyone followed the precise concept of a work apparel. Confidence radiated from each person representing the collective idea that they are bold and independent people ready to begin another day’s work. Excitement squirmed throughout my body as I realized that I too am just another self-reliant employee who is fulfilling her work’s responsibilities. My hunched back instantly propped up, and my nerves flushed away and were replaced with determination.

I finally began to obtain a sense of peace and was now comfortable with my surroundings. I discovered that I resembled everyone else and had these fellow workers to look up to as my guide to becoming independent. They were once in my position but were able to pursue and become the self-sufficient, determined people they are now. I knew I had a long way to go to achieve true independence, but I finally accessed the key to motivation and dedication to start my journey.