Brother of Five | Teen Ink

Brother of Five

By ColinHebb BRONZE, Wilbraham, Massachusetts
ColinHebb BRONZE, Wilbraham, Massachusetts

Anniversaries, they’re my parents' favorite time of the year. It’s romantic and a joyous time. This year they were making a haul out to their cape house and spending the weekend. This means my sister would be in charge. As my parents left the house, so did my sister trailing behind them making a detour to her boyfriend's house. It was time for my brothers diabolical plan to begin. They shooed me away like a fruit fly. But I knew what was going on. Drinks, cups, food, I knew this night would be disastrous.

After everything was set up people came flowing in faster than the trout run in the fall. One by one they came in, and minute by minute the music got louder. I stayed with my brother the whole time because I didn’t want to be with his weirdo friends. Then all of a sudden Cody picked me up and started throwing me up and down, up and down, then BANG! I fell back into my brother's arm with my head throbbing in pain. My head smacked the ceiling fan that was running a mile a minute. I look at the crowd dead silent everyone glaring into my eyes astonished. Then I shouted, “Me ok!”And the music continued and everyone cheered.

“No, don’t!” I heard somewhere in the crowd, I recognized the voice. It was Casey my brother Tommy’s good friend. He and Tommy were chasing each other around with some strange object. When they pressed the button there was more electricity than a million fly swatters. Finally after each other running around like kids at a playground the object made contact with Casey and he lept in pain. Stumbling backwards he hits the wall. Everyone quickly gathered to see what had happen. There was almost a perfect hole shaped just like him in the wall. Everyone was laughing and lights flashed from cameras like heat lightning in the summer. Casey climbed out of the wall,  reached for his pocket and struck my brother tommy with the electricity and in vengeance.

My eyes caught something in the distance. I walked towards it and instantly got excited. It was a play station 2! My mom always told me to stay away but now was the perfect opportunity to play. As I turned it on I felt like as guilty as a prison inmate escaping from jail. Finally when it was done loading the screen displayed the words “GTA San Andreas,” I pressed start and my brother Cody sat down next to me and grabbed a controller. I was exposed to many new things, blood, violence, robbing banks. I knew I shouldn’t be playing it I was way too young. With adrenaline flowing through my veins, and sweat going down my forehead my fun quickly ended with a shriek of, “Colin!” The warden was home. Julie, my sister came back from her  boyfriends and unplugged the game system. Usually this is where the party ends too, but today was different.

“Send it!” The pool, one of my favorite places to be. The turquoise blue mesmerized my eyes but it was quickly ruined by ripples from my big brother jumping in. He usually made water come out the ends of the pool because he was so big. I looked up from playing with my boogie board and see a mammoth fly through the air. It was of course Tommy jumping off the pool house and landing in the water harder than rain on pavement. When he swam to the shallow end he picked me up. I didn’t know what he was doing but he threw me in the air and I smacked the water perfectly landing like a diver. I said “Again, again!” Tommy picked me up threw me in the air, but this outcome was different. I landed dead middle of the pool directly on my stomach. I cried and cried and looked at my throbbing stomach, it was redder than a hot cheeto!

After my incident I walked back to the pool. I see a swarm of people around the pool house chanting my brothers name. He was preparing for something spectacular. I knew surely this was going to end bad, he always thought he was Evel Knievel . He got a running start and leapt higher than a bass after a frog and rotated in the air doing a gainer. He was almost perfect but his head clipped the edge of the pool. He was bleeding horrendously, the pool quickly turned from crystal blue to fruit punch red. My brothers gash on his head made my stomach quiver and my knees weak. Everytime I think about it I want to throw up. He was rushed to the emergency room where they called my parents. They got the worst unexpected phone call of their life, ruining their trip more than the bad weather did. They rushed home and punished every single one of us including me. And all I did was play a stupid game! But of course my sister snitched on me. Standing was 3 big idiots, or party animals. However you want to look at it, I’ll never forget it. I bonded with my brothers and I loved it, every time I see the dent in Tommy’s shaved head I’ll remember my childhood, and my crazy brothers.

My brother's parties.