Mistakes Were Made | Teen Ink

Mistakes Were Made

November 13, 2017
By NickThqmqs BRONZE, Portland, Oregon
NickThqmqs BRONZE, Portland, Oregon
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Twas the night before Wednesday. Tomorrow was going to be the biggest day of my life. I was going to take a very important test… easy right? Well that’s what most people would like to think, however, I was your typical 7th grade boy. Always tired, hungry, irritable, and most importantly lazy. It was about 5:00 P.M. I sat down at my desk and stared down at my study guide. The words blurred as my mind drifted off to my happy place. I broke free from my trance and glanced at the clock. IT WAS 7:00!


“What the heck?” I screamed, “I swear I started to study five minutes ago!”
“Nick,” my mom chided, “no yelling in the house.”


“Yeah yeah whatever,” I grumbled to myself. I started to zone out again. My eyes blurred and off I was to fairyland or as I like to call it Nick’s Fun House. My eyesight sharpened and back I was to reality. I glanced at the clock, it was 7:30.


“Whew, only 30 minutes have passed,” I sighed relieved. I got out of my chair and paced around my room. I soon got tired of pacing around and I finally moved onto a more productive task. Which was well, sleeping. Although you may believe I’m not the “smartest” I planned ahead, I set my alarm to go off at 3:00 A.M. so I could still study and sleep. I could get the best of both worlds, ingenious, I know. I went to the bathroom brushed, my teeth, went to my bedroom got into my warm cozy bed and fell asleep.
    

WOMP! WOMP! WOMP! My alarm clock droned. I threw my hand out before it could wake anyone else up. I rubbed my eyes and pondered as to why I’m so idiotic. Who in their right mind would study at 3:00 A.M.?  It was ludicrous! So, as anyone in the right mind would do, I fell into a depp slumber. I woke up the next morning a about 6:50 A.M. it was your regular morning. Got up, took a shower, got dressed, and I went to school. I completely forgot about the test, so I had a fantastic day…  until 5th period.


      “Hey Nick, did you study for the science test?” asked John.
       “AGH WHAT I FORGOT ABOUT THAT,” I screeched. I sat down and began to read the science book desperately trying to absorb as much information I could.
        “Students please take your seats the test will begin immediately,” the teacher stated in a monotone voice.

My knees weakened and my palms glistened with sweat slowly I accepted the test. I looked at the first question and dread washed over me. I knew I was dead. The next question was even worse than the first one. I accepted my fate and began to scribble down random answers. After the test was done I looked over it and realized it was an utterly horrible mess. I knew I wouldn’t be getting a good grade. Later that day I checked the grade book. I looked at my score, it was a  75%.


“Oh no,” I yelled, “my parents are gonna slaughter me.” The rest of the day passed in a blur, I knew as soon as I got into the car my mom would ask me the dreaded sentence.


“How did you do on your science test?” she would ask. I would probably say something vague and hope she didn’t ask more about it. The time had finally arrived. The last bell of the day. Gonk! Squack! Scree! I ran to my locker and fumbled with the lock. My hands were clammy and cold. Finally, I opened the locker. I quickly grabbed my stuff and sprinted down the hallway out onto the stairs. I knew I had to compose myself to make it seem normal. I trudged to the car. My mind was racing with all of the pitiful excuses I had. I cautiously opened the car door.
“Hey Nick, how was your day? Did anything special happen?” my mom drawled.


I replied, “it was great, nothing really important happened.”
“Yeah sure, your science grade sure dropped.” she chastised me, “I’m not mad, because you need to fail to learn. I know you learned, didn't you Nick?”
“Yeah yeah whatever,” I replied.
“Well, what is it Nick,” she prodded.
“To manage my time, not procrastinate, and uhh study for the tests,” I replied.


The author's comments:

The thing that inspired me to write this piece is: there are so many kids like me who procrastinate. We all think we can get the work done, and we might even get it done. When we procrastinate we're developing bad study habit. I want other teens, to understand that we all need to manage our time, and not procrastinate. I hope this writing piece will help them learn the lesson ahead of time.