Mistakes Were Made

Twas the night before Wednesday. Tomorrow was going to be the biggest day of my life. I was going to take a very important test… easy right? Well that’s what most people would like to think, however, I was your typical 7th grade boy. Always tired, hungry, irritable, and most importantly lazy. It was about 5:00 P.M. I sat down at my desk and stared down at my study guide. The words blurred as my mind drifted off to my happy place. I broke free from my trance and glanced at the clock. IT WAS 7:00!

“What the heck?” I screamed, “I swear I started to study five minutes ago!”
“Nick,” my mom chided, “no yelling in the house.”

“Yeah yeah whatever,” I grumbled to myself. I started to zone out again. My eyes blurred and off I was to fairyland or as I like to call it Nick’s Fun House. My eyesight sharpened and back I was to reality. I glanced at the clock, it was 7:30.

“Whew, only 30 minutes have passed,” I sighed relieved. I got out of my chair and paced around my room. I soon got tired of pacing around and I finally moved onto a more productive task. Which was well, sleeping. Although you may believe I’m not the “smartest” I planned ahead, I set my alarm to go off at 3:00 A.M. so I could still study and sleep. I could get the best of both worlds, ingenious, I know. I went to the bathroom brushed, my teeth, went to my bedroom got into my warm cozy bed and fell asleep.

WOMP! WOMP! WOMP! My alarm clock droned. I threw my hand out before it could wake anyone else up. I rubbed my eyes and pondered as to why I’m so idiotic. Who in their right mind would study at 3:00 A.M.?  It was ludicrous! So, as anyone in the right mind would do, I fell into a depp slumber. I woke up the next morning a about 6:50 A.M. it was your regular morning. Got up, took a shower, got dressed, and I went to school. I completely forgot about the test, so I had a fantastic day…  until 5th period.

“Hey Nick, did you study for the science test?” asked John.
       “AGH WHAT I FORGOT ABOUT THAT,” I screeched. I sat down and began to read the science book desperately trying to absorb as much information I could.
        “Students please take your seats the test will begin immediately,” the teacher stated in a monotone voice.

My knees weakened and my palms glistened with sweat slowly I accepted the test. I looked at the first question and dread washed over me. I knew I was dead. The next question was even worse than the first one. I accepted my fate and began to scribble down random answers. After the test was done I looked over it and realized it was an utterly horrible mess. I knew I wouldn’t be getting a good grade. Later that day I checked the grade book. I looked at my score, it was a  75%.

“Oh no,” I yelled, “my parents are gonna slaughter me.” The rest of the day passed in a blur, I knew as soon as I got into the car my mom would ask me the dreaded sentence.

“How did you do on your science test?” she would ask. I would probably say something vague and hope she didn’t ask more about it. The time had finally arrived. The last bell of the day. Gonk! Squack! Scree! I ran to my locker and fumbled with the lock. My hands were clammy and cold. Finally, I opened the locker. I quickly grabbed my stuff and sprinted down the hallway out onto the stairs. I knew I had to compose myself to make it seem normal. I trudged to the car. My mind was racing with all of the pitiful excuses I had. I cautiously opened the car door.
“Hey Nick, how was your day? Did anything special happen?” my mom drawled.

I replied, “it was great, nothing really important happened.”
“Yeah sure, your science grade sure dropped.” she chastised me, “I’m not mad, because you need to fail to learn. I know you learned, didn't you Nick?”
“Yeah yeah whatever,” I replied.
“Well, what is it Nick,” she prodded.
“To manage my time, not procrastinate, and uhh study for the tests,” I replied.