Watch Me! | Teen Ink

Watch Me!

By SpaceUnicorn203 BRONZE, Portland, Oregon
SpaceUnicorn203 BRONZE, Portland, Oregon

Hello, my name is Sarah A. I am the type of daring, stubborn girl who will do the craziest things to impress my brother and his friends. I have done countless things including sticking my hands in a bin of broken glass and slitting my hands, picking up a wild mouse which, ended up biting me, and jumping off my shed just last week. However, the one story I’m focusing is the time I almost got hit by a car when I was on my bike.
My brother, Isaac, and his friend, Finn, were riding their bikes down a big hill in our neighborhood. The hill is very steep and at the end it hits and crossroad. Right across the crossroad is my house. So the plan was to start up at the top of the hill at Finn’s house and ride down without stopping at the intersection and go straight into my driveway really fast. Meaning we wouldn’t use our brakes the whole time until we were safely in the driveway. Looking back on this it was a very stupid idea. We did have someone watch for cars at the bottom, most of the time.

So like I was saying my brother and his friend were having fantastic riding their bikes and all was going smooth. So I decided to give it a shot. I did it a couple of times and was having a lot of fun. Then, we were all getting ready to go inside when I shouted to my brother to watch for cars like we always did before we went down. Then before even taking in that either my brother didn't hear me or went inside. Either way he wasn't watching. So I was sitting up there on my bike with my feet planted on the ground.

I took a deep breath and lifted my feet up and instantly I started to soar down the hill with the wind blowing in my face and my hands not pushing on the brake. I was just freely flying down the hill. Then came the crossroad. I didn't stop, look, or listen and just keep going. Then I did hear something and it sounded like a car and it sounded very close. In fact it was close. I turn my head and I look into the lights of a car. I was like a deer caught in headlights. It was only for a split second but I was so close to the car I was lucky to be alive. I can't explain the look on the lady's face. It was surprised and full of fright and so was mine. I nearly had a heart attack. I braked to a stop in my driveway.

Then came the yelling. To my surprise my brother was not there. My dad was. I didn't know that and he was freaking out it and was telling the woman how sorry he was. The woman had parked and gotten out of her car and was asking me if I was okay. I told her I was fine, and ran inside to leave my dad and this woman to continue to apologize to each other. I was traumatized. I later told my mom and she gave me the lesson of stop, look, listen. Again. I learned a lesson that day and that was don’t put yourself in any kind of danger to impress someone. It's never a good idea.

This is a lesson about not putting yourself in a ny harm to impress someone.