Two Pieces of Me | Teen Ink

Two Pieces of Me

By loljacob BRONZE, Grafton, Massachusetts
loljacob BRONZE, Grafton, Massachusetts

squid squid squid squid squid squid squid squid squid squid squid squid squid squid squid squid squid squid squid squid squid squid squid squid squid squid squid squid squid squid squid squid squid squid squid squid squid squid squid squid squid squid

When I was in the Nest I dressed up as a fairy princess on halloween and people thought I was a girl because my hair was longer than the average boy. People had assumed based on stereotypes that I was a girl. At that age, I didn’t understand how certain things were “for girls” and “for boys”. I didn’t understand at the time why people called me a girl. But now looking back, I can see why. It’s unfortunate society has made certain items, colors, and other things “assigned” to boys or girls. When I’m older and have kids (a long long long time) I plan to be very flexible and not restrict certain “boys” and “girls” items. If it seems fun, then get it. What gender it’s intended for doesn’t really matter. When I was little my parents let me get whatever toy or item regardless the intended category (boy, girl), and I think that reflects some of the way I think today.

Ever since I was little, my mom told me that she was going to be a vegetarian. I didn’t quite understand at the time, but finally once my mom explained and told me, I decided I’d follow along and be a vegetarian too. I honestly can’t remember eating meat, and I now choose to be a vegetarian just because it’s “normal” to me not to eat meat. I don’t quite agree with animals being killed and people eating them, but the main reason I’m a vegetarian is because eating meat is abnormal for me and doesn’t feel right. To this day my mom and I are still vegetarians and we plan to be for a while. Being a vegetarian is an important part of who I am and also something my mother and I share.