Driving for the First Time | Teen Ink

Driving for the First Time

November 4, 2017
By 566717nkcschools BRONZE, Gladstone, Missouri
566717nkcschools BRONZE, Gladstone, Missouri
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I was at the Lake of The Ozarks at my grandparents’ house in summer. I was beginning to learn how to drive seadoos and golf carts. I was doing a really good job with those. My grandpa made a joke about letting me drive my dad to the gas station. The gas station was 10 minutes away from my grandparents’ house.

 

The next day it was a rainy day and was really cloudy outside. Later that same day I went to the gas station with my dad to get bait for fishing. The catfish bite more when it’s raining. After we got the bait for fishing, we were driving back home. He was driving really slow. Then he stopped and pulled the car over on the side of the road. I was confused why he stopped at first. 


“Are you ready?” Dad said enthusiastic.
“Huh for what?” I said confused. 
“To drive,” Dad said. 
  “Really?!” I said shocked. 
  “Do you want to drive or not?” Dad said impatiently like he had better things to do.
“Definitely!” I said knowing he didn’t have anything better to do.


So, I climbed over the passenger seat to the driver side. I reached over and put my seatbelt on and then slowly put the key in the ignition. I started the car and was about to start but I realized I couldn’t reach the peddle. My dad’s a lot taller than me so the seat was way too far back.


“I can’t reach,” I said impatiently.


So, I moved the seat forward. My dad switched the gear and took the car out of park. I started to drive but of course I used both of my feat. I had one on the break and one on the gas. My dad noticed very quickly and corrected me. I fixed that mistake quickly and continued to drive slowly.


As I was driving it was time to turn onto my grandma’s street. Lake roads are very windy and the roads are very thin. I turned very slowly and as I was turning a deer ran a crossed the front of the car. Of course, my luck the first time I drive something scary like that happens.


At first, I didn’t know what to do but my dad always says not to stop and just to hit them because it could cause a wreck if you try and dodge them. Of course, I did the opposite of that. I pushed the break slowly and I barely missed the deer. Luckily, I was going pretty slow and the deer runs back into the woods. I pulled over on the side of the road and we got out and checked the car. There was no dents or scratches. My dad’s face looked so scared which was priceless because he has never looked that scared before.


When we finally got back inside my grandparents’ house my dad was being so dramatic and making fun of my driving and saying I was an awful driver. In my defense, I didn’t choose for a deer to run a crossed the street the first time I’ve ever drove a car.


“She almost killed me!” Dad said dramatically.
“You’re still alive,” I said.


My dad still to this day tells everyone that I’m the worst driver. Of course, I make sure they know the whole story and who taught me how to drive. 
 


The author's comments:

What inpired me to write my story was my class because it was a project we had to do. I just hope people will laugh.