I Believe in Butterfly Wings | Teen Ink

I Believe in Butterfly Wings

November 3, 2017
By Kayt.33 BRONZE, Wentzville, Missouri
Kayt.33 BRONZE, Wentzville, Missouri
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Within the majority of my youth, I was immensely afraid of change. Let me explain; I was not afraid of the good kind of change. You know, like receiving a new puppy or meeting somebody who I instantly formed a close friendship with. These were changes that enhanced my story; changes that made me a better person. However, with these changes came the fear of the unexpected, fearful change. There was a constant fear that all of what enhanced my life could be taken away from me. The possibility of this negative change kept me from pushing myself. I no longer had the motivation to talk to new people or try new things. This was not for the reason that I thought change had no potential of becoming a significant inspiration in my life, but for the reason that something I learned to love could be ripped away from me at any moment. Maybe it was my Dad leaving me at a young age that implanted this fear, or maybe it was the boy who told me he would give me a forever and changed his mind. See, at some point, the driven fear of this heartbreaking change can cause you to avoid all chances of change. I did not know what change would benefit me or hurt me in the long run; Therefore, my heart remained guarded. This was until I read about the butterfly effect. It has been said that even the smallest of butterfly flaps can cause a tsunami on the other side of the world. Before this, I was under the impression that it was only the greater things in life that could create such a great change. While I was still fearful of change, I thought to myself: What could happen if I made the decision to become the change I so desperately wanted to see? This idea forever changed my life. I may not be one of the greater influences in the world, but even something as small as a smile can save somebody’s life. I, just as the forgotten butterfly, have just as much potential to cause a great impact on somebody's life. I learned to not be so caught up in how it might effect me, and I started pondering on the idea of how it might affect other people for the better. Even though the idea of being left can be nothing less than terrifying, remember that the lasting effect of love that you leave with people could give them hope. People who let the fear of hurt control what chances they take. I encourage everybody to ignore the fear that hinders you from doing amazing things in life that can inspire other people. The world needs more courage and love. Imagine what amazing things you could do if you let your faith overcome your fear. You have a purpose in this life, but you will never figure it out unless you understand your potential. Just like the smallest of butterfly flaps, you have just as much potential to create a tsunami of hope, love, and drive in the least expected. Be the change you wish to see. Take a chance to inspire people.