Technology Will Lead to Your Downfall | Teen Ink

Technology Will Lead to Your Downfall

By JacobRivera BRONZE, Fort Worth, Texas
JacobRivera BRONZE, Fort Worth, Texas

Social media isn’t the only thing needing restrictions it’s all of technology in general, because it causes distractions, depression, and is one of the easiest forms of bullying. I take the position that all social media cites should have an age restriction for the safety of children.  Parents are starting to get upset because there kids are “not getting enough sleep because of an addiction to technology.” In fact “One in nine spend between 10 and 15 hours a day online if not at school.”(Children blame parents for phone fixation)

Even with age restrictions “on some social media sites, the number of U.S. parents who would allow children 10-12 years old to have a Facebook or Myspace account has doubled in a year.” Surveys have shown that “Seventeen percent of U.S. parents questioned in the poll said they had no problem with a pre-teen child using a social media site, compared to just eight percent a year ago.” (Manila Bulletin) So even with age restrictions on certain social media cites people would argue that it’s very easy to lie past them and a lot of parents don’t care simply because they don’t know what their kids have the power to do on social media.

A lot of parents today are scared of their kids having access to technology because cyberbullying has become such a big problem today. “Cyberbullying on social media is linked to depression in teenagers” And has caused “a series of high-profile suicides of teenagers who were reportedly bullied on various social networks.” (Stephanie Pappas)

Some social media networks have worked to help prevent these problems, for example “twitter announced plans in April to filter out abusive tweets and suspend bullying users.”(Stephanie Pappas)

In conclusion technology can destroy lives but a simple age restriction on social media can stop a teen from feeling “ashamed and embarrassed” or be “abused at school and online.”
(NI parents in dark over age restrictions on social media site)