I Believe | Teen Ink

I Believe

With 0.9 seconds, the crowd is standing up, holding their breath, anticipating what happens next. A man nobody really knew before he played in the NBA was the one with the game in his hands. Running up to get the pass, he had just enough time to get a good shot off. He caught the pass and determination set in. He was ready to win. A shot went up right over the defense and swish, Damian Lillard of the Portland Trailblazers had just won the series against the Houston Rockets. It was the first time in 14 years that Portland had won a playoff series. None of this could have been done without Lillard’s hard and dedication which he possessed.

The fans went ballistic like animals wrestling for the last piece of a meal . He was the hero for the team. It wasn’t always so easy for him because there was a lot of negativity that surrounded him. People always doubted him and did not think he could become what he is today. Nobody believed in him. He didn’t care or let the doubters bring him down. All he cared about was his game and improving his skills which would help him to get better. He spent countless hours in the gym working and strengthening himself. Despite all of this, he really wasn’t known as the Michael Jordan of the 21st century.

Damian Lillard went to a small Division 1 school, Weber State. There he put up great numbers averaging 25+ points a game,10 assists, and 5-10 rebounds. Although these stats were very good, he was overlooked and wasn’t taken that high in the draft. Even though he is a professional basketball player, most people don’t think he is at the top of his sport of basketball.

One day I want to be just like him. In order for me to do this I need to be in the same mindset as Damian Lillard. “Confidence, Confidence, Confidence,” I will say to myself on the car ride home after a bad game or practice. I need to believe in myself and my abilities, just like Damian Lillard. “Practice, Practice, Practice” is what Damian Lillard would say to me when I say I can’t do it, or I’m not good enough to be there playing. Whether it’s cross country, basketball, track, or writing this essay I am going to do it in the best of my abilities.

I am going to stay confident and not focus on the negative comments someone may throw out at me. There are always going to be some people in my life who may doubt my abilities or try to knock me down when I am doing well. This is when I remind myself that I can persevere in times of adversity. I must be resilient in situations like this because what they say does not impact who I am or what I want to become. Damian Lillard is one person who has affected me in a positive way. He has taught me to be this way, not for the money or fame, but rather for love of doing it. Each day I will continue to strive to reach my highest potential, knowing one day I will prove to those doubt me that I will succeed.

on Nov. 3 2017 at 1:04 pm
Owen Noecker BRONZE,
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
I love your work!!!!!!!!!!!!!