State Champions | Teen Ink

State Champions

October 27, 2017
By Malakoff BRONZE, Malakoff, Texas
Malakoff BRONZE, Malakoff, Texas
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The smell of wet grass,baseball chalk,and pine tar in the morning is very pleasant if you love the sport of baseball.The reason? My baseball team and I were at the Texas Little League state tournament in Longview, Texas. Our first game was early Saturday morning, and we were to play a team from the town of Bells,Tx, they were expected to be our biggest competition out of the whole tournament.Until the end of the game came are and the score was 10-3. I guess we could say, we started off the tournament with a bang!

Game 2
It was now Sunday evening, and we were getting ready to play game 2.We were scheduled to play the team named Dangerfield.This team also beat us out of this same exact tournament the year before. It was the top of the first inning, and our lead-off hitter was up to bat. Very first pitch, he hits a double, and after that it just seemed like a domino effect happened, because everyone on our team was crushing the ball! It wasn’t until the fourth inning before the other team even scored a run, but by that time it was too late for them to even up the score. At the end of the game, the final score ended up being 16-2. To celebrate the victory the whole team went to a steakhouse, and all I can say is I slept very well that night.

Game 3
Early Monday morning, we all woke up, brushed our teeth, and met in the hotel lobby just like the day before. We did our pregame prayer and we were on the road, headed to the green diamonds. We all hit in the batting cages, went to the dugout, and the smell of pine tar filled the air. We took the field around lunch time and served up a loss to the Hawkins Eagles in a short game of six innings.

Championship Game
On to the championship game we have been waiting for our whole baseball career! We were to play Fannin County later that day and to prep for it the whole team went out to eat. We knew we couldn’t take this team lightly, because they could beat us easily. Nolan Ryan once said, “No matter how good a team is, they can be beat you on any given day.” We took the field, prepared to give it our all, and that is exactly what we did. By the time the third inning came around, we were already up five runs. Then, in the bottom of the sixth inning, the game was called due to a run rule, which means the we scored enough runs that it was impossible for the other team to catch us before the game ended. Our team finally won a Texas Little League State championship, for the first time in school history!