This I Believe | Teen Ink

This I Believe

October 27, 2017
By cameronjmiranda BRONZE, Mendon, Massachusetts
cameronjmiranda BRONZE, Mendon, Massachusetts
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I can remember the time my grandfather changed my perspective on the way people are treated in our society like it was yesterday.  It was when I was 10 years old on a typical weekend day with the family. I being 10 was playing with toys while he watched the news. He said, “hey Cam come here for a second” with that not-so-funny-this-is-very-serious look on his face.  He told me that no matter what I grow up to be or who I hang out with I must treat everyone with equality. I must treat others like I want to be treated. I must only base people on how they act and by a person’s character not if the are black, white bisexual, gay, lesbian, straight, tall, short, rich, or poor. Ever since that day my philosophy is that I must treat others with equality no matter who they are.


Racism and sexism are the first words that pop into my mind when I think of someone not having equality. People in the past and in present time are mistreated and even hurt/killed based on their skill color, religion, and gender. I never judge someone based on their skin color, religion, or gender because these traits do not define a person. I welcome everyone with open arms as long follow the law so that I am safe with this person.


Although the Civil Rights Movement in 1964 outlawed discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin there are still cases of discrimination everyday. I see things on the news such as police brutality in which policemen are killing African Americans because they feel unsafe in their presents and feel as if they have a weapon.  It is legal for a policeman to protect himself if he is threatened but to injure someone for no actual cause is inhumane. 


When I think about racism another story pops into my mind. Over the summer when I read the book “Warriors Don't Cry” by Melba Pattillo Beals. It's about an African American girl named Melba Beals.  She lived in Little Rock Arkansas during the mid-90’s. She, as well as all African American students and people were not given equal chances in life as white people.  Her and 8 students risked their lives to stand up for their equality by going to an all white school which is beyond brave.  They knew it would put their family in danger, but the little rock nine (the 9 students that attend Central High School) took their chance to change the lives of generations to come and to give them a chance to succeed in life without this people trying to bring them down. Reading this story really changed me.  It reminded me that I must never give up on my philosophy of equality just like Mela and the 8 other students never gave up.


I know people out there will try to bring me down for standing up for those who are considered “different” but since the day I read that book I promised myself that I would never lower myself to those people and their actions.  I want to spread good news and give out a good energy.  I will live by my philosophy of never judging someone based on looks, religion, color, gender, or sexual orientation until all people are treated as equal.