This I Believe Essay | Teen Ink

This I Believe Essay

By ryanwas37 BRONZE, Plainville, Massachusetts
ryanwas37 BRONZE, Plainville, Massachusetts

I believe in hard work and determination.  Hard work and determination will pay off in the long run.  It does not matter if something is easy or hard, I believe I should always put forth my best effort and do the best job that I can do.  My parents have always taught me that hard work will get me ahead in life.  Even if I don’t succeed right away, I should never give up.  Professional basketball player, Kevin Durant, once said, “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”  This is a philosophy I try to lead my life by. 

I have played hockey since I was young.  I may not be the most talented hockey player in the world; however, I always try my hardest when I step on the ice.  I try to outwork my opponents even if they are more talented than me.  I work hard off the ice too by going to the gym and getting stronger and faster to become a better player. 

I always work hard and try my best in school.  I pay attention in class, I contribute to class discussions, I do my homework, and I do well on tests and quizzes.  However, I have never received recognition in the form of Student of the Month in any of my years at Mount Saint Charles.  Even though I have never been Student of the Month, it does not change my attitude or work ethic towards school.  If anything, it has motivated me to work harder to achieve this recognition from my teachers.  Even though I have not and may never receive this recognition, I know that my hard work and determination will pay off in the long run.  It will help me get into a good college and will provide me with opportunities in my adult life.  I know that if I work hard it will put me ahead in life and help me get a good job in the future.  

I may not be the most talented hockey player and I may not be the smartest kid in the school, but I try to be the hardest worker.  Author, H Jackson Brown Jr. once said, “Don’t work for recognition, but do work worthy of recognition.” This is another philosophy that I lead my life by.  I know that I might not receive recognition now, but I know if I work hard and I am determined it will pay off for me in the long run.