My Sister Vivi | Teen Ink

My Sister Vivi

October 25, 2017
By Anonymous

I had a bad day several months ago, to a point where it was hard for me to even function properly. I was home alone with my younger sister Vivi so I went into her room. She looked up and after seeing that I had been crying, immediately got up from her desk chair and walked over to give me a hug. I started sobbing on her shoulder, and probably was mumbling random words that made no sense. She took me downstairs, made me dinner, and we watched a movie. She didn't ask any questions or try to fix what was wrong, she was just there for me. 

Like most siblings, we didn't always get along growing up. Vivi was controlling and unruly, while I was a well-behaved pushover. When I was in fifth grade I started having some mental health issues. I was hospitalized a couple of times and ultimately ended up in a very different situation than the other kids my age. She was only nine at the time and I have no idea how she managed what went on in our lives at that age. 

Since then Vivi has proven herself to be incredibly good at handling things. As well as being in mostly advanced classes, going to bed at a reasonable hour, and having a flourishing social life, she somehow manages to handle having me as a sister. For the past several years, no matter what is going on in her life, she will always help me if I need it. Whether it's ordering for me at a restaurant when I'm too nervous or bringing me a box of tissues when I'm crying, she is a mental health aid in black leggings and college sweatshirts. 

My sister Vivi is a force of nature. She somehow manages to keep both her life and mine from falling apart, and for that, I am so incredibly grateful. I honestly don't know what I'd do without her. 


The author's comments:

This is an appreciation article for my sister.