Back and Forth | Teen Ink

Back and Forth

October 23, 2017
By LLEON BRONZE, Cupertino, California
LLEON BRONZE, Cupertino, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I’ve been to the beach many times, so many that I can’t keep track, but this trip was unforgettable. I was traveling with my family to Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk which was cool and breezy and was crowded with many people yelling and screaming. Seagulls squawked as they tried to snatch food from unwary families. My family was walking out of the mini-golf and arcade called “Neptune’s Kingdom” and my mom was complaining about how loud it was inside. I loved the feeling of being on the beach, the salty air, the sound of waves crashing, and the warm sun. Both my sister and I were scared of rollercoasters so there weren’t many rides to choose from. I realy bad motion sickness and got car sick very often. As we were strolling along and talking, I spotted a swinging pirate ship and I asked, “Mom, Can I ride on that one?”


“Go for it!”She replied. “Feel free to try new things!”


I walked over to the ride and waved to my mom who took out her camera to take a photo of the moment. She always seemed to want to capture every vacation moment on camera. She either printed them or sent them to my grandma, her mom.


When I got on I was pretty confident that it wouldn’t be very rough but as the ride started I was getting second thoughts. As the boat swung back and forth, I felt wave after wave of nausea. Soon I was regretting my decision and I was closing my eyes and screaming. When the ride was slowly going up it was fine but when it swung downwards it was really fast so I got extremely dizzy. I looked down at the boardwalk as the boat swung towards the sky, I felt scared and I braced for the ship to fall again. I opened my eyes to see that my family was watching from below, eating snacks and my mom was still taking pictures. I wished I had someone beside me who would hold my hand. The ride felt like it would never end and I was stuck in the rocking pirate ship which felt like it was swinging faster and faster. At last it was over and I exited the rollercoaster and I could feel my heart pounding in my head. Since there wasn’t anything else that caught my sister’s or my eye, we went down to the beach. I felt light-headed and I just sat in my beach chair feeling nauseous while my sister and dad ran chased each other and ran from the waves. I felt like I was going to pass out any second but I never did. After getting some food and talking I felt much better. On the way back home I recovered and tired. The last thing I remembered was falling asleep in the van.