Let You Be You | Teen Ink

Let You Be You

By Rynordstrom BRONZE, Palm Valley, Illinois
Rynordstrom BRONZE, Palm Valley, Illinois

At the near end of Summer last year, I got a haircut. Just a few weeks later, a decision was made. In the Summer of 2016, my family rented a condo in Oceanside. They have multiple barbershops in the area because is a marine base near there. My father decided that I needed a haircut.

School was then starting up again and I was thinking about how I would look with longer hair than most boys had at my school. Even if I knew I was going to look imperfect, I still would have tried it out anyways for the experience. So I took a shot at it. But, of course, it wasn’t an instant action as it took long months. I then became anxious to see how I would look in the future.

As my hair continued to grow, so did the amount of people that asked my why I wanted to do this did too. In the first staring months, my hair looked sort of goofy and it looked crazy in the morning. It took me a while to fix my hair to be slightly less mediocre. My father always has short hair so he insisted that I cut my hair, but of course, I denied. My mother also nagged at me for my hair being long and wacky in public, but I don’t care what other  people think about me.

My mom always told me “Boy it’s time for a haircut!” or  “How long are you trying to grow your hair?” I didn’t want to cut my silky smooth, light brown hair. I do plan on cutting my hair but i’m not sure when. Nobody could get me to cut my hair because I wanted to do what I wanted with my hair and wouldn’t let anyone change that.

Growing my hair out has changed me as a person as it has made me more comfortable with myself. It has taught me to do what you want and let nobody change that. I gained more self-esteem because i’m not afraid of what other people think of me.