Schools Start Time Should Be Changed | Teen Ink

Schools Start Time Should Be Changed

By Abe12 BRONZE, Houston, Texas
Abe12 BRONZE, Houston, Texas

First of all, have you ever wondered, that if you had the power to change what time schools start, it will better you as a student.This topic is popular and talked about throughout our United States school districts.This situation should be addressed and become applied to the world of education.The time school should start should be moved later in the morning because students then will get a full night of sleep, students will be less likely to become late or absent to school, students will have improved academic performance in school.

Furthermore, students will get a full night of sleep.It will heavily affect these students if this topic is not looked into.But, if it does change, then it will significantly help our students. According to Time, as students and “children approach and go through puberty, their brains begin producing the sleep-inducing hormone (melatonin) on a delayed schedule, making it for them to sleep after 11 pm” and wake up early in the morning. These hormones are delaying the time that students should go to sleep and no one can do anything about it.

Also, they will be less likely to be late or absent to school. Improves having a better attendance. Sometimes when colleges are looking for students to recruit, they will look at your attendance to see if it is good and if it is good, they will think you will show up to their lectures. “Families with fixed work schedules and lacking transportation are not able to help their kids if they miss the bus and thus puts their children at risk of tardiness and absence” and making them lack in the education they deserve. A lot of these student’s parents have to get to work at a certain time and their child has to get to school too. It can be very stressful just trying to get to work and get your kids to school at the same time.

In addition, students will get improved academic performance. When students get a full night of sleep, they will have energy that will help them academically, physically, and mentally get through the day. As said by schoolshouldstartlater when school start times are move later “improvements in academic achievement are nearly twice as high in students from economically disadvantaged homes” and economically stable homes, that is a  huge difference if you think about it. This could be very well permanent if we were to apply this topic to our schools today.

Finally, one might object here that, these students will improve not decline in their grades. Parents might say that it allows them to talk to their children before school and work. The time school should start should be moved later in the morning because students then get a full night of sleep, students will be less likely to become late or absent to school, students will have improved their academic performance in school. Students will get overall performance in school. Please help our students and address this issue. Our students have a better overall performance if this is changed. Come on let us stand up and help our students have more success in their lives.

Parents are expecting children to just get up and go to school. We struggle to wake up and get ready to go to school. They think we are going to have an outstanding day at school. Parents and other people need to be aware that situation is real and needs to be addressed.