Coming to USA | Teen Ink

Coming to USA

By Gem.w GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware
Gem.w GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware

I moved to the United States of America in the wonderful summer of 2016. I knew English but I was not a good speaker. I think that is why some people laughed at me, because they think I don’t know the language.

I am too shy to talk to people or some people may say I am a little bit reserved. I‘m scared to communicate because I care about how people look at me and what they think about me. For some reasons I used my real name which is transliterating from foreign letters instead of using an English nickname. As it was expected, some students laughed at my name, they thought it sounded funny or silly. One of the hardest time is checking attendance. My teachers are always very nice to me they are glad to learn how to pronounce my name, but when I say my name out loud in the classroom, the whole class burst out a laughter. I get hurt and embarrassed. My face  turned red quickly and I hung my head because I feel like no one cares about me.

Once I walked into the bathroom, there were two girls there and their disposition changed immediately when they saw me. Then, one of them pointed at me, covered her mouth with one hand, and whispered something to the other girl. Obviously, they thought I couldn’t hear them! How dumb are they! I didn’t know what to say, so I just stared at them until they went away. Maybe they realized their unfriendly behavior, so they ran away.

Nonetheless, that’s not my whole life. I like my teachers and my friends, I like each time they try to understand me speaking and talk to me. They are alway so patient that they wait for me to finish my sentences and let me try my best to explain myself. When I get good grades, they applaud for me. If I am worried for an upcoming exam, they would comfort me. If I get in trouble they pull me out of the chaos. Because of them, these annoying things don’t trouble me anymore.

I don’t know if you ever made fun of others, or if you had the similar experience as mine. Now that you know my story, please be nice to others and cherish your friendship. By saying an encouraging word to someone in the morning, it would make their day wonderful and spread joy to other people!