They Day I Got My dog | Teen Ink

They Day I Got My dog

October 13, 2017
By Reagan890 BRONZE, Auburn, New York
Reagan890 BRONZE, Auburn, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Have you ever had to take care of a pet ? Was it difficult or was it easy? We have a new puppy in our home and taking care of him is way more work than I thought it would be.


Let me introduce you to Gus, he is our 8 month old purebred yellow lab. Gus was born on January 13, 2017. He was born in Lancaster Pennsylvania. His mom was a yellow lab with blue and his dad was a chocolate lab with green eyes. Gus was one of 6 puppies, he has 3 sisters and 2 brothers. My mom went to Pennsylvania to pick him up, turned right around and drove back home. Gus was 10 weeks old when we welcomed him into our home. Gus is VERY cute, good thing he’s cute because he is VERY naughty. Gus is always getting yelled at for getting into the garbage. We have to rubberband the garbage door shut and put a chair in front of the cabinet door so he will not eat the garbage. There have been a few times that he has gotten into human food and he has a sensitive stomach.  He ate butter did not agree with his stomach and we ended up having to shampoo our carpets. Good thing Gussy is cute. We have a cat named Annabelle. Gus was afraid of Annie when he first came home, now he tortures her. He chases her around the house and barks at her. When we take him out into the yard we have to keep him on a leash. He used to run and play with us in the yard but now he will run away chasing birds and other animals. We end up chasing him up and down the street.


It takes a lot of my time cleaning up after Gussy. We have to take him outside in the yard to do his “business” and it is mine and my brothers job to shovel up the mess. We have to take him out quite a few times or he will have an accident in the house. If he does we have to clean that up too. He is smart. When Gus goes potty in the yard he runs right to the door when he is done. He knows that he will get a treat. He sheds hair like crazy. It gets on everything! We have to use the sticky roller on our clothes and vacuum the carpets in the house all the time. He will chew anything and everything. He has destroyed my flip flops, my mom’s slippers and many phone charger cords. Good thing Gus is cute.


We have to feed Gus his food and get him his water. He has to have special food. His food has to be grain free and no corn. We have learned the hard way that Gussy can not have his water and food at the same time or he barfs. I have to clean up after that too. He is very picky, we have to give him ice cubes in his water. He is a spoiled puppy. Good thing Gussy is cute.


Having a pet is a huge responsibility. The amount of work is way more than I ever thought. If you do not have a lot of time or have a busy life, don’t get a puppy. Good thing Gus is cute.