Syracuse Dome | Teen Ink

Syracuse Dome

By yourboy43 BRONZE, Auburn, New York
yourboy43 BRONZE, Auburn, New York

I was on the bus going to Syracuse. I had my music on full blast volume to zone out everything around me. I had a fierce look in my eyes. Sweat dripping down my face. As I kept thinking to myself “It’s time to go.” All offseason I’ve been working my tail off for this opportunity. My first varsity football game as a Sophomore, and to top it all off I was playing it in the Carrier Dome.

I dedicated my summer to football. My goal before the summer started was to play football at the varsity level and start. Everyone’s goal this summer was to beat Ithaca in the dome. We encouraged everyone to push themselves and go all out everyday on everything. The summer weather was the real test. Coach told us everyday “You can’t handle this then you are not part of this team.” He told us all season that the dome will be just as humid as it is now. My team went to three camps over the summer. All of this just for one game. Every single week, the team and I would bust our asses for this. It didn’t matter what the weather was like. My coach helped us out a lot over the summer. He would come every morning just like us to see us come together as a team and get better. As the weeks were passing the game was slowly approaching. I would look at the date everyday before practice started. I would say in my head over and over again “ Saturday at 8 o’clock. September 9th.” That day is the last Saturday of summer break.

This is it. The time has come. Ever since my coach told us about the game i’ve been so hyped up about it. The bus was completely silent. Everyone was preparing themselves for this. We pulled up to the back of the stadium and entered the locker rooms. We all got dressed and my coach got us ready. We all lined up and entered. It was the greatest experience of my life. Our fans were cheering us on as we ran to the sideline. The loudspeaker was calling the names of our offense and I heard mine get called. Everyone on my team was ready for anything. The game was amazing. We won 50-0 against Ithaca. I was so proud of myself and my team. We all played an amazing game. But the best part was after. My dad gave me a hug. And he told me he was very proud of me.

That was probably the happiest day of my life. I got to play with  the varsity and my dad gave me a hug. We haven’t in 2 years. That hug was the moment that made my summer worth every second I practiced. Even tho I gave away my summer, I know 34 other kids had my back. And I got to do what I wanted to ever since my first day of modified football practice.

my piece was inspired by the syracuse dome