The Golden Cross | Teen Ink

The Golden Cross

By Mudbud52 BRONZE, Lambertville, Michigan
Mudbud52 BRONZE, Lambertville, Michigan

“What is it?” “It’s your Dad’s cross.” I felt a rush go through my body, it felt as if I my blood had suddenly plummeted 20 degrees. My whole body froze, I was speechless and I couldn't control it. The next second dragged on for what seemed like my whole life. It was the most bizarre moment I have ever experienced. People say as you die your life flashes before your eyes, but I can tell you from personal experience, it does not have to be a near death moment to bring back a flood of memories. It was in the following second that every memory I had of my dad came back. There is no doubt in my mind that my dad was in that room with me, and it was truly one of the most surreal moment I have ever had.

In the back room of a quiet restaurant stood an elongated table with a white table cloth draped over the edges. It was almost eerie the glasses, silverware, and plates were all perfectly symmetrical, not a single one looking out of place, as if they had been that way for ages. As the church bells rang, people started pouring out onto the street of the small cozy restaurant. As my family and I walked into the restaurant one by one the atmosphere went from barren to lively. Chairs were filled up one by one and what happened next was one of the most important moments of my life.

“I’ll give it to you when you’re ready…” These words brought on mixed emotions for what seemed like my whole life. On one hand, I would day be given my dad’s personal belongings making it one of the best days of my life, on the other hand I had no idea when that day would come. Fortunately, it did come, and from it came an item that I never leave the house without. My dad's cross hangs around my neck as I type this. It has become an attachment of my body, because I know, if I have his cross he is never truly gone. He is always with me wherever I go, and it is a constant reminder that I will see him again one day.

I didn't know how I was going to react, or what I was going to say. All at one it kind of just poured out of me, like the floodgates had opened up. I had to have looked ridiculous. A chubby little kid who didn't know how to express what he felt, who wanted to cry and jump for joy at the same time. But, who also knew, the way he reacted would set the tone of the whole room. Because of that, he shut himself down, not showing how he truly felt.

When things are all said and done, there are special moments that stick out in your mind.Some good, some bad, but they stick with you nonetheless. I am positive that this is one of those moments. Laying on my death bed this will flash through my mind, because after all, it was one of the best days of my life.

It's about my deceased dad