The Ring That Traveled Through Time | Teen Ink

The Ring That Traveled Through Time

October 10, 2017
By BaileyPud BRONZE, Temperance, Michigan
BaileyPud BRONZE, Temperance, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I was confused when I was first opening the small box wrapped in golden wrapping paper. The small black box had velvety feel to it and I could tell there was some type of jewelry in it. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see that my grandma and mom were almost shaking in anticipation. I still don’t know what could be in this little black box. As I opened that black box I could already hear my grandma start to cry tears of joy. I knew that whatever was in this box meant a lot to her. I could also tell that put a lot of thought into this gift. All of these reactions had made me a little terrified to open whatever was in it.
     

The room where I was opening presents at was filled with all of my different family members. There were grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and so many more. We could barely fit everyone and it was the biggest room in the house! I remember that my mom had spent days planning and cleaning just so this room could be perfect. She would be on Pinterest all do trying to figure out how she’s going to decorate this room. Since my party colors were pink and gold, there were pink and gold hanging paper lanterns, streams, and even a 5 layer cake. She had the carpet cleaned and made us scrub the walls so hard that I was sure the paint was bound to start peeling off.
     

When I finally opened the box I was almost blinded by the sparkling diamonds. The ring had a gorgeous silver band with blinding silver diamonds at the top and sparkling magenta diamonds on the bottom half. Once I saw my grandmother start to cry tears of joy, I could tell that this ring had a very special meaning that had a place in her heart. I was honored that she would choose to give it to me. I know my grandma well, and I know for a fact that this ring meant a lot to her and our family. I don't know what the story behind this ring was, but whatever it is must be a huge deal if it has everyone on the edge of their seats. A little part inside of me didn’t want to open it because I somehow knew that this ring will bring some more high expectations.
     

My grandmother is a 62 year old woman who doesn’t have a single grey hair on her head. Despite her age, she knows how to make herself look and act young while being an adult at the same time. She is one of the few people I know whose opinion of me I take very seriously. She is always willing to help anyone and everyone. However, sometimes she doesn’t know when to stop and ends up getting taken advantage of time and time again. I always feel bad because I’m pretty sure she knows that she is getting used but she doesn’t know how to not help. At the same time though, I know that if I ever need help with anything and anytime, I can call her at anytime and anywhere and she’ll always pick up and do her best to help me.
     

When I was reading the poem I couldn’t focus on anything else was going on around me. My grandma had tears of joy running down her face while my mom and aunts were snapping pictures of me reading the poem. The poem talked about the how beautiful the ring made her feel and the strength that the it gave her. She told about how much love she had for the ring because it was one of the few things in her life that she could control. It was her most prized precious and everyone knew it. She said how when she first got it she would never wear it because she was so scared that she would somehow lose it. That's when I realized that her and I have the same fears. All I could see was the flashes of light from cameras out of the corner of my eye. I could tell she put everything she had into that poem, as if she knew that I would be the one to receive it.


I almost never wanted to put on the ring because I was so scared that I would so how mess it up in any way. To this day I still have that fear sometime that I going to lose it or break it somehow. I was nervous that if I put in on and it didn’t fit that my grandma would be upset because I wouldn’t be able to wear it right away and think that she somehow messed up. After getting a stare down from about 97% of my family, I finally decided that I should at least try to put it on. For some reason when I finally put the ring on, it couldn’t have fit more perfectly. The silver glowed perfectly in the lighting and I couldn’t be happier that I decided to take the risk and put it on.
     

Even though the entire experience of me opening the box, reading the poem, and putting on the ring only took about 15 minutes, it felt like a century to me. I couldn’t be more honored that my grandma would choose me to receive such an precious and priceless family heirloom. This shows that after all this time, my grandma still finds ways to surprises me. The fact she went through all this trouble to find it, fix it up and kept it a secret from me impresses me to no end. I couldn’t be more thankful to have her in my life. Even though we fight all time and always get into arguments,  I know that if I ever need anything, at any point in my life my family will always be there to help me if I ask.


The author's comments:

No matter how much my family and I go through, we will always stay together.