H2O for Uganda | Teen Ink

H2O for Uganda

October 10, 2017
By Anonymous

"No one can do everything, but everyone can do something." Volunteering is something that I've been doing ever since I was in fourth grade. I remember it was something I enjoyed because I helped my community and met different people.

    

In fourth grade, I joined student council. Student council is basically a student government, but also helps your community. In my school, we decided to make a global project. This project was called, H2O for Uganda.

    

We basically spent one whole day doing a water carnival, in our school, to raise money for a well in Uganda. I was one of the volunteers to help during the carnival. I was ecstatic for two reasons: (1) I didn't have to go to class for one whole day! (2) It was an opportunity to help outside of my community.

    

The carnival consisted of water guns, face painting, those fake fishing games, and food. I mean, what's a carnival without food!? There was more games, but I just pointed out the ones I mostly remember. I was sweating so much becaude it was July, in California.

    

At the end, we collected enough money and one of the teachers went to Uganda to see how the well was coming along. She came back with bracelets and bookmarks that the people in Uganda made. She also showed us a video of the people there saying 'thank you'.

    

Then, in the new school year, we had a surprise. Turns out a few people from Uganda went to our school to talk about their culture and how things are going back in Uganda.

    

This was just one of the best experiences I got from helping people out. It was fun and gave me experience on doing things. It definitely helped me meet different people.

    

It not only impacted the life of others, it also impacted me. Kurek Ashley once said,"The quality of your life will be determined by the quality of your contribution. When you work to improve the lives of others, your life improves automatically."


The author's comments:

     My inspiration to wrirting this would be helping people in general. Joining youth groups, volunteering, and joining clubs. There is more to your community and world than people see. There are people that need help, and there are people willing to contribute their time to help others. Nobody is alone.