Taste Buds | Teen Ink

Taste Buds

October 1st was a very interesting day. I woke up ate cereal for breakfast, watched t.v. for a few hours, and was on my tablet. It was around 1:00 in the afternoon and my mom started cooking. She was making shrimp, mixed vegetables, and rice. I asked her why she was cooking because she does not usually cook at that time. My mom then told me she was going to spend the rest of the day with her friend and wanted to make sure my grandpa and I had something to eat.

Once she was finished she left the kitchen to get ready. I waited for about fifteen minutes for all the food to cool down. I then went into the kitchen and started to make a plate. After I was finished I went back to the couch and got a spoon full of the vegetables. I put the spoon in my mouth and then a second later my whole mouth was burning. I wanted to spit it out but there was no wear to spit so I just swallowed it even though it burned my whole throat.

After that whole situations I went to feel my tongue and I noticed that it felt drier. I did not think much about it so I continued to eat and that’s when I noticed everything tasted different. I finished what was on my plate and I threw it away not making a big deal about my tongue because I thought it would go away if I gave it sometime. It was about nine o’clock at night and I went to get some cough drops, but I put one in my mouth and could not taste anything. I got so nervous that I just threw away the remainder of the cough drop and went to sleep in my room.

I woke up the next day and my tongue felt fine so I thought I could start tasting things again. I got ready and came to school. I was waiting with my friends and I started to eat some chips because I did not eat breakfast in the morning. I put the first chip in my mouth and realized that I could not taste anything still. I got really worried that I damaged my taste buds. I went to my first period and then after I went to my second period. I am a TA for my second period so while I was in I googled what happens if you burn your tongue.

It turns out the I killed my taste buds when I ate those really hot vegetables. It said I had to wait about 10 days (2 weeks) in order for my new taste buds to come in. I was really sad that I lost my taste buds over something really careless. The website I was on gave me some helpful tips for the burn on my tongue though so I was happy about that. So this was the story of how I killed my taste buds.

My name is Megan and I am 17 years old. I wrote this story on a Free Choice Monday for my Creative Writing class. I really like this story because it is a real life experience and I believe other people would find it comical.