Overcoming the Overseas Journey | Teen Ink

Overcoming the Overseas Journey

By cmccance1 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
cmccance1 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

In the mid 1950s, my nana and papa immigrated to the United States from Scotland. They wanted to create a better life for themselves, as well as for the future generations of their family. The courage my grandparents needed to immigrate to a new country is empowering. Patriotism is having perseverance. Patriotism is changing your life just so you’re future family has the greatest life possible.

At first, my grandparents struggled, because they had to start over. Finding jobs, buying a house, and meeting new people created challenges, because people were not welcoming of immigrants. Patriotism is overcoming struggles, in order to find success. 

As my grandparents settled into their new life in Cleveland, Ohio, they felt a sense of community, because Cleveland is a melting pot of different nationalities. After five years, my grandparents had children. Creating a better life for their children was the main reason they decided to immigrate to America, and by this time, my grandparents were thriving; my nana and papa both had jobs and they purchased a home. Patriotism is coming from humble beginnings and rising to the top.

My grandparents packed up everything they had and left everyone they knew to immigrate to the United States in hopes of a better life. My grandparents live the American dream. Believing in themselves and their new country allowed them to start fresh and have hopes for their future. Patriotism is striving for happiness in a new life.