Everyday, Our Flag

Everyday, I look outside my bedroom window, to find the flag that represents my country.  It sways in the wind reminding me of the brave men and women who fight for my freedom. The flag is in every room of my school, showing and reminding students of its significance. When I look at the flag, I see more than just colors and shapes, I see hope and light for mankind, and I see soldiers at war. I see their bravery in our flag.

Everyday, I raise my right hand to my heart and recite the “Pledge of Allegiance.” I think about the faces that leave home eager, and return with fear in their eyes. My grandfather was Wisconsin’s first sergeant major for the Red Arrow Infantry Division during the Berlin Crisis. Because of his sacrifices, he was the man I was never able to meet, hug, or laugh with. Although I wasn’t fortunate enough to meet him, he taught me perseverance, honor, and dedication. I see his courage in our flag.

Everyday, I remember my visit to the Arlington National cemetery. The smell of sadness and respect lingers in my mind. The click of the the soldiers’ heels echo throughout the silence. Daily problems fade away as I focus in on the lost warriors, remembered or not, and I begin to cry. And I remember the families who lost a loved one because of their love for the country. I thank my grandfather every night for risking his life to protect mine. I see his strength in our flag.    

Everyday, I watch the news and hear stories about wars going on around the world. Although the news is frightening, I am not scared. Patriotism is the men and women who are willing to give up everything they have for people like me to feel safe. I see patriotism in our flag.