Secrets | Teen Ink

Secrets

By JadenHill BRONZE, Hemet, California
JadenHill BRONZE, Hemet, California

Walking through the halls of a high school is difficult when you carry a secret around with you. Secrets are hard to contain and even harder to tell. A burning ambition inside of you screams to just let it be free but your mind runs wild with the endless possibilities of how it may turn out. A secret that when released could change your life immensely, if you allow it to. The secret seems to be more of a burden or curse than something to embrace and be proud of. However, at one point in your life you’ll stop caring about what people think and you’ll embrace your uniqueness.

Being gay will sometimes feel like one of the worst things that could ever happen to you and you’ll question why you couldn’t have just been “normal” like the other guys. Why you couldn’t have had a simpler and easier life. People will ask you how long you’ve been gay or when you chose to be gay but in your heart you’ll understand something they never will. Why would one choose to be bullied throughout their entire lives and to never truly fit in with the crowd? I guess you can’t really expect an ignorant-minded human to try to understand the emotions of another. The only thing they care about is their own happiness and sometimes that is brought by putting others down. Others that are defenseless and try to keep to themselves just to get through life in one piece. Sometimes they are broken but that’s okay. Being broken doesn’t mean being destroyed. In fact, it means quite the opposite. When a person gets broken they typically become stronger. Over time what once broke someone becomes their strongest feature and is embraced amongst others. Maybe one day you will become so strong that you look at yourself and believe that you are the “normal” one and that the bullies are the misfits.

I wrote this piece because of the way I use to feel about being gay. By writing this piece I hope that readers can feel a connection and relate to the feelings of another LGBT teen getting through life.