The Morning That Starts my Day | Teen Ink

The Morning That Starts my Day

By BrandonAlexander BRONZE, Hemet, California
BrandonAlexander BRONZE, Hemet, California

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! The alarm clock sings to me at around five o’clock in the break of dawn. As I start trying to arise from my amazing sleep, I slam my hand on the clock as if it was a game from the ole whack a mole. I get up, but then my eyes shut and I collapse onto my newly made bed. Thirty minutes have passed and this time I do not wake up by the ear piercing alarm, it is from my dad’s loud plopping footsteps. Flip! Flop! Flip! Flop!!! BANG! The door slams shut and I rise as quick as I have ever thought I could. Pretending I had been up for awhile, I start gathering my clothes to get dressed for my day. “Are you ready? We leave in five minutes!” My dad had yelled which meant he was getting serious, either I leave with him or I am left. I start running and gathering my stuff all at the same time “ Shoes, socks, toothbrush, clothes, shoes. Am I forgetting something? Nope!” I run out into the car hoping my dad hasn’t been waiting for me. As we pull out of the long slick driveway, I notice that I have forgotten my lunch, “Dad I… NOPE we aren’t going back” As I knew the answer I started to accept the fact that I don’t have lunch and I have to eat something from school.

Pulling up to school I jump out of the car, waiting in the cold brisk air waiting for my zero period teacher to arrive. Feeling it has been the longest time, I see a giant white truck looking like something you would see from a monster truck show. My teacher jumps out of the large truck and unlocks the long sliding fence pretending I was never there. I don’t know why he does that, I just ignore the fact that he doesn’t usually talk to me at all. I run to the weight room and sit on a bench, lying down like a corpse arriving to a morgue, lifeless. People start to arrive and soon enough we walk outside to stretch, the sun had risen and it is a lot warmer after all this time has passed. I get onto my number on right next to the touchdown mark on the football field and I slowly look to my left seeing who has all been checked. I start my stretching running across the field and coming back slower than before. As we come inside I start my work out and I push as hard as I can hoping something inside me would already change. After time has passed I the teacher blows his whistle, “ABS!!!” I get on the floor and start my short abdominal workout.

After I get through all I do is just put my pants over my shorts and walk across the street to school. I get inside looking around me trying to see if any of my friends have arrived. As I look, I make my way to the cafeteria and get the best thing there is to get at this place, a chocolate muffin. As I sit down at a bench, I unwrap the bag as if it were a gift, holding it as careful as I could delivering it to my mouth to enjoy. My friends come over but then it’s too late, the bell has already rung. I make my way to my English class drinking my milk to wash down the dry muffin “It still is the best thing to eat here!” and throw the carton away. As I enter the class, I sit down getting ready for another day of high school.