Worst Divorce | Teen Ink

Worst Divorce

People have different unforgettable moments in their lives. They differ from being perfect to difficult. My parents’ divorce was one of the hardest moments of my entire life. It all happened so fast and at such a young age. It was a moment that I will never forget.

At this point, I was around 5 or 6, I was living with my parents. My dad was an alcoholic. He would always get drunk and then come home. It was the same thing every single day. Until one day my mom had enough, she was so sick and tired of what she had to deal with, so she called her friend and asked her if we could stay with her. She was crying with anger. My dad got home once we were about to leave. He was drunk once again. My parents just started arguing, and I just remember crying beside my older brother as we watched them argue.

It was devastating. I didn’t know what to do. I loved them both. I couldn’t choose a side. My brother and I had no choice but to move with my mom. We couldn’t be at the hands of my drunk dad. We didn’t see him for weeks. I thought of him, and would cry, every single day. When I finally saw him he wasn’t drinking. He was willing not to drink for the day just to see us again. He was trying not to drink, even to this day. I know he regrets arguing with my mom. I just wish we could be a family again.

Although the divorce really hurt me, I am thankful for it. Without that divorce, my dad probably wouldn’t have taken the initiative to stop drinking. I know, now, all things happen for a reason.