Home? | Teen Ink

Home?

By thegiggles SILVER, San Bernardino, California
thegiggles SILVER, San Bernardino, California

??????????????

... And this new place is now home. And in a year, another new place is going to be home. Or maybe, just maybe, this current-new place will keep being home if the feeling is there. What is home? Is it where we feel most comfortable and at peace? Is it where we breathe and eat and sleep and cry that we wouldn't think of calling any other place home? Some even claim that home is a person. To be completely honest, I don't know. Strange as it may sound, home is a weighted word to me. Home, if we refer to the place where we breathe and sleep and come apart, has then been so many places for me. That being said, I don't know if I'd call any of them that magical place; I've gone through the aforementioned motions, but not felt at peace in any one place. Nowhere stands out.

When people ask me where I grew up or where I'm from.. the best answer I can formulate is "here and there" or "moved around a lot as a kid." I usually leave it at that because how else am I supposed to answer? I hate that question! Perhaps I'm being overdramatic, but it's just a crappy feeling to not be able to formualte an easy answer, or at least truthful. I feel like a nomad. I mean this in the strict AP human geography term- no negative connotation here. It's a simple word, but it's so much of who I am. It's not one many people would use to describe themselves in the 21st century, but it's indubiously a large part of me

I'm not too concerned with "the now" feeling like home but I do wonder if any place ever will be.