Welcome to My Neighborhood | Teen Ink

Welcome to My Neighborhood

By ariiallen BRONZE, Auburn, New York
ariiallen BRONZE, Auburn, New York

Neighborhood:a district, especially one forming a community within a town or city. My neighborhood specifically is easily judged by others based on its location. I’ve had people who I consider friends to people I don’t know judge my house because of what street it’s on. The comments my street receive range from “ghetto” to “unique.” I hope that after you visit you can see that a neighborhood shouldn’t be defined by its looks or a stereotype, it should be defined from your experience within it.

In the middle of my neighborhood is my house or what others like to call ‘the gem’ of the neighborhood, as if my house does not belong. I do agree, my house is unique and stunning. That is all because of my mother. As you enter my house to the right is the living room where we usually just talk because we really don’t enjoy television that much. As you leave the living room you enter the dining room, where we have the best meals and make the best memories. Soon you will be part of those memories. After the dining room we meet one of the bedrooms, belonging to my mother. It’s a modern room full of long mirrors, a closet full of beautiful clothes, a pretty set up to get ready, and a queen bed. Leaving my mother’s room we enter the kitchen. The kitchen is very modern and well organized. Thusly, I spend a lot of time making breakfast and drinking coffee in this kitchen.

As we exit the kitchen to the foyer we meet the stairs and enter the upstairs. The upstairs is small but delightful. Upstairs consists of four rooms: the bathroom, my room, my sister’s room, and the extra room. My sister’s room is full of toys and fun experiences such as board games and video games. My room, my favorite room in the house is unique and has my prized possessions: My ukuleles. It also holds a beautiful vanity, a queen sized bed, a closet full of exquisite clothing, and Polaroid pictures all over the walls. Finally, the extra room is where I practice all my musical instruments. Music is my passion, and my escape from my everything and that is also how I see that room. Thus, my house and neighborhood will guarantee a grand experience and you shouldn’t base that off location.

To the right of my house is the house people base their opinion of the whole neighborhood off of. This house is loud and filled with many people. Sometimes it gets very irritating. But some of the people in this house are big-hearted people who look out for their neighbors. Not all the people in the house are kind, but the ones who are make up for it. The big-hearted people help the neighbor across the street who has cancer and get her everything and anything she needs or wants. This is why we can’t always judge people off of first impressions or glances. People could always have a great quality we don’t know about because we are too hard-headed to see. That being so, you can’t stereotype my neighborhood based off first impressions.

To the left of my house is a red, brick building. This building is immense and hideous. This building also creates an unfavorable look for my house that my family and I dislike. However, this building is full of music studios for aspiring musicians. As a musician, I can’t be too mad at the building’s location because I’m all for anything music. To me, music is what makes the world go round and without music, the world would be lost. This building could be a get-away or a safe-haven for musicians and I don’t want to do anything to wreck that. Again, this is why we shouldn’t define a neighborhood from a stereotype but how the neighborhood has impacted our lives.

Across the street from my house are probably the sweetest neighbors in the neighborhood. They always are looking out on all of their neighbors, including my family and making sure we are safe. For example, when we aren’t home they watch our house for us. They have an immense blue house with a great yard attached. They spend a substantial amount of time in their yard and make sure the yard is kept in vital condition. Attached to the house and inside the yard is a gorgeous deck with charming fairy lights around the rail that make you gain happiness just from looking at them. I definitely understand why they always are in their yard. Their yard is certainly what gives their home character. Consequently, this is why you can’t judge a neighborhood based on location or a stereotype.

Thusly, when you visit my neighborhood you should judge it from your experiences and how it impacts your life. If you just judge your visit just from first impressions you’ll just be stereotyping my neighborhood and that is being small-minded. In the end, you’ll never really experience anything in life if you base everything off of first impressions and stereotypes.