I Love You, Too; My First Boyfriend | Teen Ink

I Love You, Too; My First Boyfriend

July 8, 2017
By hopemariah BRONZE, Sag Harbor, New York
hopemariah BRONZE, Sag Harbor, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I don't think it could have happened any differently, but it started out as a normal night for me. My two closest friends, who were sisters, were staying the night at my house. The typical hushed chat of boys we thought were cute, and other girly things filled my small room.

 

It was around nine o'clock at night, and we were relaxing on my bed, thinking of what to do. We weren't tired in the least. We never are when theres so much to talk about. I decided it would be fun to FaceTime someone. So, I sent a picture to my snapchat story saying; 'Someone FaceTime us.' About a minute later, I got a call from my friend Myles. We weren't really that close, but if anything made us closer, it was that call. Myles happened to be having a sleepover with his best friend, Declan, who none of us had ever met. But secretly, every once and a while, us girls would go on mute and talk about how cute and nice Declan seemed. 

 

That facetime went on for hours. By the time we ended, the slightly older of the sisters had fell asleep. So it was just Ella, the younger one, and me. We talked about so many different things, and stayed up until at least 2 AM. I had never connected with boys on that level before. It felt good.

 

Somehow or other, Declan and I exchanged numbers and social medias handles and accounts. Over the next few days, thinking nothing of it, we became closer over Snapchat and text. Nothing major, though. After a few FaceTime calls alone with him, I was suspicous that something was going on. No boy had ever payed this much attention to me. It was nice.The next few days at school, I would tell Myles all that was going on. He was convinced Declan liked me. I didn't believe it, but I wanted to find out.

 

That night, Declan and I were talking again. I was having a great time, and I think he was too. We eventually got on the subject, and he said he thought I was cute. Luckilly, over the past few days, I had been falling for him too. He started screenshotting my pictures and putting hearts around them, and we eventually became "a thing." The next day at school, I told all my friends what had happened. Most of them were happy for me and shared my excited mood. Others were jealous, but I guess I get it. 

 

Later in the week we went on our first date. We hung around the town, and he bought me ice cream. How sweet! 

 

Over the next few weeks, we would Facetime and talk ALL the time. But it was at my friends house, when he first said it. We had to take a break from talking to go eat dinner, and when I said goodbye, he said, "I love you." Of course I said "I love you, too." I couldn't stop smiling. When I ended the call, all my friends screamed in excitment. 

 

Almost three months later, we are still as happy as ever, and whenever I see him, that smile never goes away. 

 

I love you, too, Declan. 


The author's comments:

I recently read the "Teen Ink, Love and Relationships" book, and got inspired by it to write my story! Still to this day, Declan and I are in a happy, loving relationship, and I couldn't ask for a better guy.