Twilight Storm in My Nightmare World | Teen Ink

Twilight Storm in My Nightmare World

June 14, 2017
By Anonymous

What a hell of a life we're living in this make-believe world, where the puzzle pieces never fit together and the edges are fringed. How did we get here, to this infinite twilight? We've been here so long I've lost track of time, as if it mattered in a place always between light and dark. I can't remember life before this, before the crashing and the shattered words that fall like piercing rain in the solid dark of night. Before the constant numbing hum that is expectant, that makes us wait anxiously for the storm, what is there? We'll never know, but I still wonder. Can there be anything else than this? Can there be more to this twilight nightmare of mazes that all lead to hell? Is there anywhere beyond the threateing, groping black shadow where we can escape to? Who can say? I feel the tightening of the air and the shadow of the storm creep into me and it grips my soul. No, there is nothing else. I know because the darkness tells me this, and the storm consumes me.


The author's comments:

There may be many ways to interpret this piece, but to me it is a representation of my life with a bipolar parent. Mental illness affects so many people today that it is important to educate oneself on it, even if it doesn't affect one directly, Living with a mental illness or someone who has one is difficult and can feel like an uphill battle at times. This piece reflects the "storm" that bipolar disorder brings and the ups and downs of the illness from my experience.