This I Believe | Teen Ink

This I Believe

May 26, 2017
By JordynKawehi BRONZE, Lihue, Hawaii
JordynKawehi BRONZE, Lihue, Hawaii
1 article 0 photos 0 comments


I believe that hard work pays off and that there’s nothing you can’t achieve, no matter where you come from or what situation you’re in, with enough practice, hard work, and determination anything is possible. My dad told me once at a young age to “have faith in your abilities, work hard and there’s nothing you cannot accomplish.” Now I always keep that in mind and never think that there’s something out there that I can’t achieve. Anybody has the capability of reaching their goals, the difference between the successors and the failures is the amount of work that’s being put in to achieve those goals.


Let’s talk about me for a minute. I’ve known what I wanted to be ever since I was in middle school, an engineer. But it wasn’t until I was a freshmen in high school, taking an engineering class, where I actually found out what it took to be an engineering class. You needed to be really smart and had to be really good at math and science, which back then wasn’t my best subjects. There was many things being taught in that class that I didn’t understand like the difference between a suspension bridge and a truss bridge, or the different parts of a car and how they work. After 1 year of that class I wasn’t sure if I was capable of being an engineer. But when my sophomore year came, I took a break on my engineering class and started working on my math and science more. I didn’t want 1 hard year of a class to change my dream of becoming an engineer. so  I stayed up all night doing homework and studying my notes for tests, I even went into my teacher’s classes during lunch breaks and weekends to get extra help on the materials I was struggling in. By the end of the year I was getting As for both classes. So when it came to my junior year I was ready for it. I aced all my tests and knew what everyone was talking about in class. With the grades I’m got in the class and being the only girl, I have many schools looking at me wanting me to attend their school. With all that hard work and determination I put in during my sophomore year, I am now one step closer to getting where I want to be in life.


    Is it even worth it to work hard and be determined and committed to something you care about? The answer is yes, it is worth it. It may not seem like it now, it may seem like you’re getting nowhere near where you want to be in life but trust me you are getting somewhere. And knowing where that somewhere is will help guide you and your choices in your life. Nothing you want in this world will come easy, you have to work for everything you want. Every successful person like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, or Henry Ford didn’t get to where they are without a lot of hard work. Henry ford didn't just sit around waiting for his dreams to come true, it took a lot of hard work, determination, and time to get his Model-T to work.


Success isn’t easy, just like anything else in life. Statistics show that around 140 thousand people quit their jobs a month because it is too hard, and 90% of people who work hard reach their goals every time. This shows that people who are too lazy to work or even try get nowhere in life and the people who do work hard are happy and exactly where they want to be. Success is not given or just simply handed to you, you have to earn everything you wish for, and by doing that you have to work for it and not give up. So yes, working hard and being determined is worth it. Have faith, work hard and there’s nothing you can’t accomplish, and this I believe.