This I Believe | Teen Ink

This I Believe

May 26, 2017
By Anonymous

Change needs to be made.  We must right the wrong.  This is what I believe.  What are the wrongs in the world?  For starters; there is poverty, discrimination, and war.  "Almost half of the world, over three billion people, live on less than $2.50 a day.  American Indian/Alaska Native, Hispanic, Pacific Islander, and Native Hawaiian families are more likely than Caucasian and Asian families to live in poverty."  Why is this?  Why is it that some are able to spend $10,000 a day when others don’t even have $5?  Why don’t we as humans right this wrong?

 

Humans are selfish, always wanting more, never satisfied with what we have.  The only time I have seen a human content with what they have, is when they originally had NOTHING.  October 2015, the first time I went to Mexico.  I stayed at an orphanage.  A place where children have almost nothing, but they were content.  I helped at a bathhouse where we bathed and fed people who had close to nothing, but they were content.  I went to the dump and fed people who lived there, whose only belongings were what they found in the dump but still, they were content.   How is it that those who have nothing are the happiest?  Or should we be asking, how is it that those who are the happiest have nothing?


The world is like that, split unfairly.  That is a wrong that I believe we should right.  Those with nothing should have something.  They should have food to eat every night, they should have beds to sleep in, they should have access to hospitals and medication.  Why don’t so many people have the basic necessities of life, but a considerable amount of people have 7 cars and their own tennis court?


You would think with 2,043 billionaires in the world, and over 10 million million/multi-millionaires that we could afford to take the entire world out of poverty. So why don’t we?   The wrong is in our human nature.  It is our own selfishness and need for power that we don’t go and right this wrong.  With all this money, why aren’t we going out and building hospitals, schools, and homes for those who need them?  Why aren’t we going out and creating sustainable jobs in areas that need them?  It just doesn’t make sense to me.


If you are able to go and make a difference, even the smallest one, then why don’t you?  If you are able to change someone’s life for the better and help one another, then what is holding you back?  I believe in righting the wrong because it can change lives for the better.  I believe in righting the wrong because us as humans need to help one another.  I believe in righting the wrong because “The purpose of life is to contribute in some way to making things better.” (Robert F. Kennedy).  This I believe.


The author's comments:

This is an essay I wrote for AP English, on the topic "This I Believe".  It took me a while to discover what I believe, but once I did I strongley agreed with it.