A Close Call | Teen Ink

A Close Call

May 25, 2017
By 20ns01 BRONZE, Cannon Falls , Minnesota
20ns01 BRONZE, Cannon Falls , Minnesota
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I love the truck I have today, and the truck I have today wasn’t my first truck. I had a truck before this and I loved her a lot. Yet one day somethin tragic happened. Some say I’m a fool for drivin  too fast. I always thought they were wrong until one day. I crashed my truck for the second time. This one she didn’t manage to fight through. It all happened so fast for me but, I’ll try to sum up what happened before the crash, durin the crash, and after the crash.


It started off like a normal day. I went to the neighbors to feed their cat. Once I fed their cat, I checked up on the place and then headed home. I had the country music bumpin. I had my window down and the radio up. Just like any other day. Once I got to the straightaway home, I went too fast like normal. Of course me bein me I thought nothin isn’t ever gonna go wrong. I looked down at the speedometer. I was goin 75 mph, I maxed out the speed of my truck once again, I was approaching my place.


About 200 yards away from my house I didn’t to slow down like I  normally do, but I managed to hit a patch of loose gravel. I never thought that this would ever happen to me. It all happened so fast.  I saw my life flash before my eyes. I’ve done a lot of stupid stuff most of my life. I guess this one takes the cake for most stupid. I thought that’s how I’m gonna go out. Bein an idiot racing down a gravel road. I feel the collision then open my eyes and I’m totally fine. My baby managed to start up and get out and back to my place. Once I got there I looked at what damage has been done.


My baby was pretty banged up. I thought it’s a miracle that she started up after that crash. Soon after that I got real mad real quick, and Some words were said and some things were broke. I couldn’t believe that I wrecked my baby. The second thing that came to mind was how was I gonna hide this from my folks. I tried to park it in a way that the damage couldn’t be seen. It didn’t work out in the end. They weren’t gonna pay for her to be repaired. So I drove her for a couple days then the very next day somethin bad happened. She kick the bucket, bit the dust, whatever she didn’t survive the crash entirely. I was really sad when this happened but I knew that it was my fault.


I did learn some things outta this though. The first thing I learned was that I need to drive slower and don’t be such an idiot when driving. The second is that if I am gonna race save it for the paved roads or the highway not a gravel road.  I’m gonna do things differently with the truck I have now. Maybe…I’m at least gonna try to do things differently. I’m gettin my new baby a new set of wheels and a lift. This time I’m gonna treat her better and make her last as long as possible.