The Pearl Harbor Attack | Teen Ink

The Pearl Harbor Attack

By 21hornca BRONZE, Richmond, Kentucky
21hornca BRONZE, Richmond, Kentucky

The Pearl Harbor Attack                             
(On the island of Oahu)

Have You Ever Heard About Pearl Harbor
Have you ever heard of an island called Oahu?  It is an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.  There is a harbor there called Pearl Harbor, it is the military base there for the navy, and there is an air force base there too.  Today, it is still a navy base, but also a Historical Site because the Japanese bombed us on December 7th, 1941.

The General At Pearl Harbor
The General of Pearl Harbor at the time that they were bombed was General Edward Kimmel.  He was a four star admiral in the United States Navy and Commander -in-chief of the U.S.  He was with the Pacific Fleet at the time of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.

Lives At Pearl Harbor
At the attack on Pearl Harbor there was to claim the lives of more than 2,500 lives, wounded 1,000 more.  The amount of destroyed ships and aircrafts is 18 American ships and nearly 300
airplanes.  But for the Pearl Harbor ship, all of them were destroyed eventually but three were not.

This Was Missed
The reason that this was missed was because the U.S Military thought that since Japan had such a small military that they wouldn’t fight back, but they came up with a plan to attack the U.S. Military.  So they bombed Pearl Harbor.  This was part of what started WWII.

The Time That I Was There
If you ever get a chance to go to Pearl Harbor, I hope you will enjoy it like how I did.  When I went, it was 2009.  I stayed in the Hilton Hawaiian Village.  By the way that was where Elvis Presley stayed; I even went up to where his room was.  I stayed a little longer than a week.  I got dog tags that are what the military soldiers wear so that people can identify them.  I even met a survivor from the bombing on them at Pearl Harbor.  He said “Aloha Great Wishes” to me.  I would have put his name but nobody I ask could tell what is was because when I was there I knew his name, he was a very kind person to me and a very brave man for what he did for our Nation.

I was about six when I wrote this, felt like I should publish this piece, so I finally had the courage too.